Previous topic - Next topic

Noah

Nope not me. Leaving tomorrow morning
9/12.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

pbyrne

Quote from: Jim Hardesty on August 24, 2022, 02:02:13 PM
I'm thinking about trying a pair of port visors.  My questions are.  Do they really keep the rain out?  Do they restrict the ventilation?

https://seaworthygoods.com/

Jim

I'm very happy with mine.  Hard rain will bounce in, but a steady drizzle will not come in with low wind.  Zero reduction in airflow.  I found that if you keep the screens it that also helps a bit as the screens 'block' the rain a touch and it runs down onto the cabin. 

I think the big win is that they will block rain coming from directly above and say 35-40 degrees to the window.  The ports are basically a straight shot into the boat (angled cabin) in light rain as light rain is usually close to vertical.

Look at it this way, it reduces the number of times you will get the boat wet, but doesn't necessarily eliminate it.  For us, we don't get that many torrential downpours, and being able to open some of the ports to improve airflow in the rain, which means it's humid and hot is well worth it.  They use an adhesive, and I cleaned up the gelcoat where had to go and they've stayed put over 2 seasons of +35C to -25C.
2000 Catalina 34 MK II #1534