Finding a leak

Previous topic - Next topic

ennis01

I have had my 2003 34 MkII since 2019. This spring after commissioning, my house bank died and the bilge completely filled with water. Leak was not from the deck, seacocks or stuffing box and air conditioning had not been used. Saw heavy corrosion of the prop strut bolts, thought that was the source.  Looking more closely it appears to originate aft of the prop strut. I'm thinking cracked rudder post? Can't see clearly looking in from the aft quarter lockers. Any thoughts? The attached pics show what looks like wet dirt and scum. Any thoughts, greatly appreciated.

KWKloeber

Caveat:  I have no clue if this pertains to your boat or any 34 but I have this CTY fix in my library:
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

ennis : I am just not that familiar with the MK II hull under the aft cabin to make any sense out of your picture!!   Sorry I can't help

Don't know what kind of "House Bank" batteries you have, but if they were unsealed flooded batteries and they were submerged? - that (battery acid) might account for the corrosion on the prop nut/bolts ?? 

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

ennis01

Thanks for the thoughts.  The batteries are under the settee in a locker that does not communicate with the aft bilge. Rudder tube repair may be needed once a diagnosis is established.  I think I can investigate better by removing the wood panel/bulkhead that separates the aft cabin from the lazarette where the rudder post and steering quadrant are.

Ron Hill

ennis : What is so dirty/oily in the dark cutout in that bulkhead??  What is on the other side of that bulkhead?  Which side of the boat is the picture looking at - the starboard side looking fwd??

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

rmjohns

You can pull that panel off in the aft stateroom but you'll have to pull the water tank to get any real access back there. Pulling the water tank isn't terrible and has been discussed here on the board in the past.

I had a good leak coming down the around the helm station bolts but it would have taken a while to get that much water.  Could you tell if it was fresh water or salt?

Rob
Rob

1998 Catalina 34 Mkii 1390 - Miss Allie
New Bern, NC

KeelsonGraham

Water coming in through the two aft lazarette hatches produces exactly this flow pattern on my Mk II. Try running a hose over them and then take a look.
2006 Catalina 34 Mk II. Hull No:1752. Engine: M35 BC.

Stu Jackson

Quote from: KeelsonGraham on August 11, 2022, 01:17:57 AM
Water coming in through the two aft lazarette hatches produces exactly this flow pattern on my Mk II. Try running a hose over them and then take a look.

One of the first tech notes I remember reading (on Xmas Day 1998 when I was writing up the original tech notes index) was to apply some weatherproofing foam under the hatch covers.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Noah

Looks kinda gross in your circumstance but, for me, with a saltwater boat, first thing I do is taste the water to help narrow down the source of any leaks.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig