creaking noise in cockpit

Previous topic - Next topic

gchid

lately I have been noticing a creaking sound in the cockpit while sailing. Any ideas what that could be? 2005 C34 MK II. Thank you for your time...gary

Noah

On my boat it would be my hips and knees. :abd: Sorry, I couldn't resist. You will have to give a lot more info and still it would be a guess.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

dfloeter

Our rudder stock has given us groans before. I lubed from above and that seemed to help. 
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
1996 Catalina 34 TR WK #1317
Universal M35A
Rocna 20

Ron Hill

gchid : I have NO idea what might be creaking, because if you are beating there are many strains on almost everything.  I don't believe it could be the rudder.!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

LogoFreak

On a port tack or starboard tack? If it's on a port tack it very well might be your fuel tank.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
1992 Catalina 34 Tall rig fin keel mk 1.5 "Polonaise"
Hull number 1179

mark_53

My guess is your keel bolts are lose. Keel may be about to detach!  This would be bad.

Noah

I assume Mark 53 is joking about keel bolts. As I said without more info (or being onboard) this is totally a guessing game. I would suggest you have someone else steer while you sit in the aft cabin and look and listen. It could be just bulkhead creaking, steering gear, sheet winches loading, jib tracks blocks, seat lockers??????
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

mark_53

Quote from: Noah on August 01, 2022, 09:05:51 PM
I assume Mark 53 is joking about keel bolts.
Joke? Maybe.  If the keel started to separate, it must make some sound as it rocks back and forth.  Maybe ever one would call it a creaking sound.

KeelsonGraham

It's started to happen on my Mk II after some prolonged sailing in heavy swell. I think it's rudder related. Have you checked the cable tension?
2006 Catalina 34 Mk II. Hull No:1752. Engine: M35 BC.

Ron Hill

Guys : If you have ever talked with Jerry Douglas (Catalina VP and C34/C36 etc. designer)  he will state "That you have NEVER heard of a keel falling off of ANY Catalina"!!!

A direct quote,  Ron   :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

Jim Hardesty

Quotelately I have been noticing a creaking sound in the cockpit while sailing.

gchid,

I've had that before on Shamrock.  Took off the emergency tiller cover and flushed well with fresh water while moving the steering wheel.  While you have the cover off, check the o-ring.  Mine was bad and think I was getting dirt/dirty water in there.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Patches

My investigation of similar noises lines up with Jim's observations.  My creaking occurred mostly on port tack when sailing in moderate-heavy winds.  Last time I was out, I had a friend steer on port tack while I went below and removed the aft panel in the aft berth to trace the noise.  It was definitely coming from the area of the rudder post where it exits to the emergency tiller head.

Like Jim I flushed the area with a sprayer and the noise seemed to abate for a awhile.  When I haul out in September I'm going to pull off the emergency tiller head and check the washer for wear, and whatever else might be present (or missing).

Patches

Jim Hardesty

FWIW.  If you've never done it, remove and fit the emergency tiller.  Just to make sure you can.  I couldn't remove the plate with the spanner wrench, wire, that was provided.  Now carry my good one.  Hope no one, especially me, has to use the emergency tiller.  But it's good to have and know it fits before s... happens.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

tmac

I recently had a similar creaking noise on an evening when I had an anchorage with a significant ground swell, rocking the boat significantly (it was like sleeping in a washing machine.)  I found that the teak panel covering the diesel tank was the culprit.  The leatherette edging on the panel was rubbing against the fiberglass edge.   It was quite loud and annoying but easy to fix.
Tom McCanna
Bayfield, WI , Apostle Islands 1988 std. rig C34, #818 M-25xp, wing keel
Lake Superior - No Sharks, No Salt