ACR Wiring Revisited (again)

Previous topic - Next topic

Wurlitzer1614

Ron, the alternator output currently goes directly to the start battery via a 6AWG wire.
Trevor - 1988 - #815 - WK - M25XP - West Michigan

Ron Hill

Wurl : It looks like you have some pretty hefty #1 wire, but I would have gone with at least #4 gage wire to the starting and house bank batteries.  What kind of voltage regular do you have??

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Wurlitzer1614

Ron,
The 6AWG was already there from a PO. I'll add 4AWG to the list of future upgrades. From what I've read,  the OE alternator (8EM2017KA) has its own regulator built in.
Trevor - 1988 - #815 - WK - M25XP - West Michigan

Ron Hill

Wurl : You got a hefty house bank (Looks like 4 6V golf carts).  I don't know how you use the boat or your electrical equipment on board (refrigeration, inverter, microwave etc.) or your electrical usage budget.  However, if you really want to get the best charge to those 4 golf carts you really need to look at a Hi- output alternator and an external voltage regulator!!

There are numerous posts and WiKi (especially Mainsails) on the best electrical equipment to keep that house bank charged!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Quote from: Wurlitzer1614 on August 04, 2022, 04:09:15 PM

I'll add 4AWG to the list of future upgrades. From what I've read,  the OE alternator (8EM2017KA) has its own regulator built in.

You're going to have investments in the CGbatts, cable upgrades, start btty, ACR, etc., but you're relying on a dumb, single-stage, internal, automobile, regulator. 
Doesn't make sense in the long run. 
Unless you daysail only / are tied to a shore charger every night??  Is that the case?  If so then an ACR is (MO) a waste.   
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain