Draining hot water tank coolant hoses

Previous topic - Next topic

kable

I am going to attempt to replace my hot water tank hoses.

I am going to follow Stu's method of draining the coolant by un-clamping the hose coming off the fresh water pump at the elbow joint and catching in a bucket.
https://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4518.msg26462.html#msg26462

But how do I drain the coolant in the hoses heading to the hot water tank?  They are fed by 3/8" hoses off the top of the fresh water pump and the thermostat and head down and connect to the long 5/8" hoses before heading under the floor pan.  So they are above the section being drained and I assume will be full.

How do I not make a mess? ;>)
1988 C34 #785 SR/WK Universal M25XP - "As We Wish" Bellingham, WA - San Juan Islands

waughoo

I took them both off at the engine t-stat housing and then blew into one while the other was faced into a bucket. This got 99% of the water out of the circuit of the hoses. Once that was done I remove the hoses from the hot water tank and pulled them through that way. This gave me the minimal amount of spillage when replacing them.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

kable

Thanks
Not sure why I didn't think of that.
1988 C34 #785 SR/WK Universal M25XP - "As We Wish" Bellingham, WA - San Juan Islands

KWKloeber

JFWIW,

EG antifreeze is toxic.
PG antifreeze is nontoxic.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain