Bird removal

Previous topic - Next topic

mregan

We have a new flock of birds that have moved in at my marina.  They seemed to have christened my boat as their party/bathroom boat.  Small birds, maybe finch or small sparrow size. 

Anyone use a plastic owl or hawk to keep the birds off. Was thinking of bungee cording it to the boom.

Jon W

I had zero luck with the hawk. A couple slip neighbors have the owl, and one has a snake. They don't seem to do much either. What has helped a lot is putting spikes on top of the mast.

If the spikes caused the birds to go to the spreaders instead of the top of the mast, my next step was to add a single string of heavy fishing line ~1 inch above the centerline of the spreader from the shroud to the mast port and starboard.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

waughoo

I have no idea of its effectiveness, but we have a few boats with CDs hanging off flag halyards so they flash in the sun/wind.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Noah

Our yacht club uses fake coyotes and regularly rotates their locations throughout the marina. They fooled/intrigued my dog when he was younger. 8)
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

mre : I've used snakes, an owl on the piling, and CDs on the life lines.  I also tried monofilament line (which worked), but was a pain as you needed to take it all down to use the boat (labor intensive). Those little birds I was trying to deter were Purple Martins (some people call them "swifts").  They eat a zillion flying insects especially mosquitos, but then unload over your boat gunnel!!!  I had wished they ate spiders, but they was not on their diet!!

I believe that the CDs (Join AOL) worked the best.  If a CD detached and blew away I knew that AOL would replace it in the U.S Mail with in a few days!!!   :clap

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Catalina007

I have tried all of these things and none work. Eventually the birds will crap on your owls, snakes, coyotes, etc.
But one thing does work 100 pct of the time

About once a week I put a dead fish or some hot dogs on the boats surrounding my mooring.  Have not had a problem on my boat since! 

waughoo

Quote from: Catalina007 on July 25, 2022, 03:15:06 PM
About once a week I put a dead fish or some hot dogs on the boats surrounding my mooring.  Have not had a problem on my boat since!

I always wondered why there were hot dogs on my foredeck... :abd:
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

mregan

Just bought a roll of reflective streamer.  Supposedly when it's flapping around and the sun is shining on it, it will keep the birds away.  Pretty much what the AOL cd's were doing for Ron.

Catalina007

yes you can get it at home depot, my favorite chandelry. works for keeping the woodpeckers off the house

paule

Bird aweigh you can find it on internet. Have used since X-Mass when my daughter bought it for me.
No more Osprey's or damage to instruments. was about $139 worth the money

BEST PRESENT EVER!!!!!
Paul & Lynn Erb
Yachta Yachta Yachta
C34 2003 #1634
Rotonda West, FL 33947

waughoo

Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

mregan

Installed some of the reflective tape on the lazy jacks and back stay.  Eliminated 80% of the problem.  Going to try a couple pieces higher on the standing rigging which should eliminate the rest.

mregan

Me=1 Birds=1.  Climbed up to the spreaders to put a couple more lengths of tape up.  Just as I'm about to head up, feel something on my arm.  Bird pooped on me.  I could see him at the top of the mast laughing at me.  The saga continues....

waughoo

Reminds me of Caddyshack!
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Ron Hill

mre : It's just a constant battle with the birds!!! 

That Bird-a-way looks like it has some merit.  At least it will stop those guys from "Stomping" on the Windex and breaking it!!  The worst could be the Osprey!!! - because they are protected!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788