Sooty Intake Manifold on M35B

Previous topic - Next topic

KeelsonGraham

Recently, after taking off the air filter to clean it, I ran my finger around the inside of the manifold and picked up a very thin film of oily soot. I'm experienced with auto petrol engines - not with diesels, but I assume this is abnormal?

The engine starts immediately first time, every time and runs sweetly (albeit a little hot) so I'm reluctant to fix it if it ain't broke.

I assume this could be due to back flow from one or more inlet valves, either because the tappet clearance is too small or because a valve isn't seating correctly?.

Has anyone else seen this?
2006 Catalina 34 Mk II. Hull No:1752. Engine: M35 BC.

KWKloeber

When The B engines go out the factory door they have the crankcase breather hose run to the air intake.  Does yours?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

KeelsonGraham

Ron Hill

Keel : I don't believe that you have a problem.  As Ken said the newer Universal M35B and XM25 XPB engines all have their oil pan breather vented in to the intake manifold.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

KeelsonGraham

Thank you Ron. The oil breather would certainly explain it.