Raising engine - Vetus mounts - metal type

Previous topic - Next topic

dfloeter

So this brings up a question. A few years ago I swapped our gearbox for the ZF12 and raised the engine accordingly.  The engine is now higher on the mount studs with more threads below than above.   I had wondered about the leverage on the mounts but opted to ignore that thought.   I suppose using the top end of the stud would and does allow excessive movement.  Maybe I should raise the mounts by shimming underneath.   So, should I?
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
1996 Catalina 34 TR WK #1317
Universal M35A
Rocna 20

Ron Hill

Ken & Kable : This is a real test of my memory about the old (replaced) M25XP engine.  I double nutted all of the top nuts on my K75.  As I recall (I have no pictures) there was still about a 1/2"' of threads above that top nut!?!

I'll guess that there is going to be plenty of threads.  If not I'd take 1/4" thick aluminum and make a shim the same footprint of Vetus mounts.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Ron Hill

Dietrich : I'd leave the engine where it is as long as there isn't excessive vibration of the engine when running.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Quote from: dfloeter on July 27, 2022, 01:11:24 PM

So this brings up a question. A few years ago I swapped our gearbox for the ZF12 and raised the engine accordingly.  The engine is now higher on the mount studs with more threads below than above.   I had wondered about the leverage on the mounts but opted to ignore that thought.   I suppose using the top end of the stud would and does allow excessive movement.  Maybe I should raise the mounts by shimming underneath.   So, should I?

Dietrich

It depends where the engine/bell housing brackets land on the K75 stud.  See my previous post/warning.  Pics of yours??
**its best that the brackets sit in the lower half of the studs.**
I saw a pic of a snapped off stud (apparently) where the engine torque was applied too high.  I cant recall if it was an M25 or XP and whether it was on a 30 or 34.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

KWKloeber

@Kable

Here's some specs below that might help you.

If you measure where your engine brackets currently sit (or sat?) on the DF studs, w/ the new tranny they'll sit 8 mm above that spot on the K75 stud.

So depending where your brackets currently fall (fell?) on the stud (mid? above? below?) you can decide whether to shim and how much.

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

dfloeter

Thanks for the info.  It'll be a few months before I get back on the boat but this looks like a great winter project.  Maybe even swap out the mounts while in there.  Happy cruising. 
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
1996 Catalina 34 TR WK #1317
Universal M35A
Rocna 20