Grounding on Inverter AC ouput

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthieu G

Hello, I am making electrical corrections on my new to me boat.
Could someone guide me regarding the routing for grounding from an inverter output?

From the shore power I have my three wires that connect to the AC Input of the inverter. Black, white, green. On the AC output side of the inverter where does the ground (green) wire end? On my 12v negative bus bar? Or on the engine?

Also, the manual of the inverter (Freedom10Am Combi) specifies to connect its chassis to the ground. Again, same question here? 12vBus bar or engine? Guess it would be on engine, right?

In this regard, the manual also states: "Neutral Bonding. For safety purposes, the Freedom Combi unit internally bonds the AC ouput neutral(white) to the AC ground (green), when theunit is OFF or in the inverter mode. When incoming AC power is applied and the transfer switch is engaged, the internal neutral-to-ground bond is automatically lifted. This means that when AC power(shore power) is applied, the grounding system is connected to the shore power ground, where neutral and earth ground are bonded together . "

Thanks
Matthieu Girard
1990 Mk1.5  #1102
Sailing in the Chaleur Bay, Eastern Canada

Matthieu G

If I can add more information about the existing connection:

The green wire from the Inverter's Ac output was connected to a dead end. In other words connected to nothing.

So I have the impression that the ground was made by the neutral wire.
Possible ?

Matthieu Girard
1990 Mk1.5  #1102

Noah

Might get a more answers by posting on the "Boat Electrical Systems" group site on Facebook.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Quote from: Matthieu G on July 20, 2022, 12:13:06 PM

So I have the impression that the ground was made by the neutral wire.
Possible ?

The manual says how it is grounded when OFF or in inverter mode.  And how grounded with shore power applied.

Is your 12v NEG and engine bonded per ABYC?
Or is the bond broken or removed (to avoid galvanic corrosion from other boats)?

Suggest this is something you may not want to screw around with unless you have the knowledge and may want to get a QUALIFIED marine electrician's look-see.  The life you don't electrocute might be someone else's.

Or get and understand a copy of ABYC E-11.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Matthieu G

Matthieu Girard
1990 Mk1.5  #1102