Boston Area Marine Mechanics

Previous topic - Next topic

Switchback

Boston area sailors,

Does anyone have recommendations on marine mechanics? I am having a hell of a time getting in touch with mechanics. I have made many calls and left many voicemails only to be ghosted. At this point I've tried 4 or 5 different mechanics and am running out of options. I understand that this is a busy time of year but I can't even get in touch with anyone. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
S/V Switchback

mark_53

Fix it yourself?  We are here to help.

Switchback

Quote from: mark_53 on July 20, 2022, 09:09:45 AM
Fix it yourself?  We are here to help.

I do most of the work on my boat. However, I am not confident in my ability to replace a head gasket. Also, I need it fixed as soon as possible as I am in a time crunch. I'd like to get the work done before a regatta! It will take me too much time. I also don't like the thought of completely tearing the engine apart, as I am a liveaboard and the mess would be pretty stressful. Ideally, I'd like to have a mechanic take care of it as quickly as possible. If I must DIY this then I will just have to suck it up and come here for the help! ;)
S/V Switchback

mark_53

I had the same problem out here.  Couldn't find anyone to come to the boat so I called a few boat yards.  Had to make an appointment months in advance.  Just the new America.

Jim Fitch

Hi Switchback -  I haven't tried this myself, other than to get parts, but maybe you could try some of the local Kubota dealers to see if they have a mechanic willing to do the work?  Jim

Switchback

Quote from: Jim Fitch on July 20, 2022, 12:12:29 PM
Hi Switchback -  I haven't tried this myself, other than to get parts, but maybe you could try some of the local Kubota dealers to see if they have a mechanic willing to do the work?  Jim

Interesting thought! I'll check into that, thanks!
S/V Switchback

KWKloeber

Have you talked to Hansen Marine?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Catalina007

Its getting increasingly difficult to find marine mechanics, and almost impossible for ones willing to work on 30+ year old Universals