What other projects would you do if you are already pulling the engine?

Previous topic - Next topic

kable

I am pulling the engine a bit to replace the transmission.
What other projects should I do since I am there?
- New sound insulation
- Motor mounts
- Deep clean
- Heat Riser ???
- HX ???
1988 C34 #785 SR/WK Universal M25XP - "As We Wish" Bellingham, WA - San Juan Islands

Ron Hill

kable : I'd look at moving the oil drain (suck out tube) from the front of the oil pan to the rear!!  Then just plug the front hole.
You might also think about changing the two hoses to the water heater (if they are still the originals)!!

FYI, I used the 1 1/4" insulation in the engine compartment (Defender) when my engine was out (Mainsheet tech note article)

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

kable

Thanks, been following most of your posts.  I have recently replaced the easy to access insulation and will continue to do the rest w/ the engine is out.  Made a big difference.

Will be doing the 75/50 motor mounts as well.

Really would like to add the Fed Coupler (other thread) to continue to collectively reduce vibration/sound.

Will start researching the water heater hoses.
1988 C34 #785 SR/WK Universal M25XP - "As We Wish" Bellingham, WA - San Juan Islands

Noah

FYI- The Vetus 50s have been discussed as somewhat controversial, with many favoring 75s all around.  As far as insulation goes, I only had enough clearance to use 1-inch and in some places  (engine door) I could only use 1/2 in.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

kh3412

Move heat exchange to rear wall to allow access to trans fill.
1987 mk1 a work in progress #618

Noah

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

kable

Noah,
I guess I had read a mixture but maybe that was people starting w/ all 50s and then moving some to 75s.

So 75 motor mounts all around, wouldn't be too stiff and be a different kind of vibration issue?

Stu - should have known to check there first ;>)

kh3412 - this is new to me, guess I have more research to do.

KWKloeber

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain