Leaking Airmar knotmeter thru hull.

Previous topic - Next topic

Catalina007

Hello all,

Plastic  Airmar  knotmeter thru hull - I noticed it leaking and sea water in the bow area bilge.  I went to remove and insert the plug and tighten the nut. The whole interior base of the thru hull turns also which is no bueno. I tightend as best I could but it still leaks. Is my only alternative a short haul to further investigate?  I dont know how it was originally installed but obviously without good sealant/adhesive

waughoo

I believe a haulout is in your very near future.  For cost savings, you might want to see if your yard would do a short haul.  If it is that loose, i suspect you could be ready with some sealant and some helpers and be done with that in about 20 mins and go right back in the water.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

kh3412

Had the same thing happen to me.
Had to order the spacer as the threads are not all the way down.
Hull thickness is right at the point you may or may not need the spacer.
1987 mk1 a work in progress #618

Jon W

Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Ron Hill

007 : I believe that you are in for a short haul!!  Might ask your yard and tell them what you need it for an get a best price because it will only take you less than 1/2 hr to fix. 

Both of my thru hull adapters (depth & speed) are "backed" /"spacer-ed" with 1/4" plywood piece about 6"x 6" (on the inside of the hull).  Never have had a problem.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Catalina007

We did the haulout. All the marinas here charge between $500 - 650 for even a short few hours haul and none of them will let youleave it i nteh slings for a  an hour

What little caulking left was deteriorated . there was some on the threads, but none between outer flange and the hull. none on the interior flange. There was a rubber gasket on the inside but i guess it wasnt thick enough.  installing the plug when not sailing more often this year probably loosened it up enough to start the leak.  So we will goop it up good inside and out with life caulk or 4200 and put it back in.  i dont think we need a backing plate.