M25 ignition switch replacement

Previous topic - Next topic

Catalina007

Hello,
Its time to replace my ignition key switch.  I have separate momentary switches on the panel for glow plugs and starter.
My current switch is 2 position  Off-On  so, when 'on'  it  turns on the fuel pump also.   
I am assuming I can replace with a simple 2 position Cole-Hersee switch.
Is there any reason to replace with a 3 position or something else while I am at it?
Thanks       

p.s.   Its funny the Cole Hersee 3 position are a few dollars cheaper than the 2 position. 

Ron Hill

007 : No, just replace it with 2 position CH switch.  It should be a direct 2 wire replacement.  As strongly suggested - make sure that you get protective boots for all of your switches!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

I measured the diameter of the key switch and went off to one of my favorite marine stores: the auto parts store. Duncan Auto sold me a Cole Hersee 9577 on/off key switch for $27.68 CDN as shown in Photo 1.

From tech notes, 2017.

2 position.  The old one had three posts!  Don't ask me why.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KWKloeber

There's one more option for those who may be reworking an old panel --

A C-H powerboat ignition switch - OFF-ON-START w/ PUSH to CHOKE (for the preheat.)
One switch, easy peazy operation, save space on the panel, but I would use that only if you have a preheat solenoid (as on the "A" and "B" engines.)   
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Catalina007

I ended up with a Sierra 3 position push to choke switch.  All the bells and whistles!
Im just using the Batt and I terminals.
It was $20 at Worst Marine and cheaper than the 2 position.

It was a little tight and one of the unused Ig switch terminals will touch the aluminum housing of the preheat switch
which is its neighbor if the ignition switch should loosen and rotate on its own a little. It shouldnt happen and I dont think
anything will (Those unused terminals wont ever be energized)  but I will wrap some electrical tape on them anyway.

Catalina007

Quote from: Stu Jackson on July 13, 2022, 06:24:48 PM
I measured the diameter of the key switch and went off to one of my favorite marine stores: the auto parts store. Duncan Auto sold me a Cole Hersee 9577 on/off key switch for $27.68 CDN as shown in Photo 1.

From tech notes, 2017.

2 position.  The old one had three posts!  Don't ask me why.

That was my first thought and Im sure will be fine, but felt maybe the Sierra 'marine' version would be better.
The shelves and selection options were pretty empty 

Otherwise -

1. The brass 'pivot' nut on the throttle linkage failed. Universal part was  $26. What a joke.  I got it for $10 elsewhere which is still robbery. and a few stainless nuts and bolts from Home Depot and back in action

2. Plastic  Airmar  knotmeter thru hull - I noticed it leaking and   I went to insert the plug and tighten. The whole base turns which is no bueno.
I tightend as best I could but it still leaks. I think my only alternatiove is a short haul  :(