Anchor chain markings

Previous topic - Next topic

Noah

I have recently switched to an all-chain 5/16 anchor rode to give me more stacking room in my anchor locker. I am using a Maxwell VW10-8 windlass. I do have a remote that includes a rode counter, but I decided to also paint my chain, a "belt and suspenders " approach. My marking scheme follows.
Orange= 9ft. (at windlass) indicates anchor at waterline
All other markings are at waterline:
Red = 25 ft.
White = 50 ft.
Blue = 75 ft.
Green = 100 ft.
Red/Green = 125 ft.
White/Green 150 ft.
Blue/Green 175 ft.
Orange= 190 ft. (Bitter end warning for 200 ft. chain rode)
I utilized a 5-step process for painting and did the work in my daughter's driveway today, while she was out of town. :D
I used Ospho (phosphoric acid) for etching, Rustoleum Universal Bonding Primer (galvanize-friendly), and Rustoleum enamel spray gloss for topcoat. I also used the "cardboard box spray booth" trick (I found on the Web), which worked well.
I will report back how this paint holds up.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

waughoo

Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Holger Dieske

I am from Germany and I use Google-Translator! (and a little bit my brian ;) )

C34 "RUNAWAY" Mark 1.5 - 1992 WK - Hull Nr. 1219 - Yanmar3GM30F - Flag: German - Boat stay in Mediterranean Sea.

KWKloeber

Noah

I want to be a fly on one of your neighbors' wall.  LOL

You have so many groovy projects that you have done!  At which point do they circle back around to the beginning and you start doing them again with a new idea/technology????
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

waughoo

I am with Ken.... Noah, your boat is REALLY turned out!!  I would love to have a Noah's boat photo gallery. 
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Ron Hill

Guys : I did similar to Noah, but I use colored wire ties.  Surprisingly the gypsy does NOT chew them up.  Just put a 6" on and leave the tail as is!!  :thumb:

A thought

Ron, Apache #788

Noah

I am too blind for wire ties! :shock: :cry4`
Standard Rig

glennd3

Noah,
   Your work looks nice as usual. I have 50 ft of chain which is more than enough for the Chesapeake, however I "feel" that my bow is heavy and have thought of reducing some of the length. Do you know how much weight your chain adds? On a side note, how did your hip surgery turn out?
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Noah

Glenn- 5/16 chain weighs a bit more than 1lb. per foot—so mine is about 200 lbs. Fortunately, my boat has always been a bit high in the bow, so no impact for me. It is square on it's lines now. I am physically about 90% recovered, still going to PT and doing boat projects. No solo sailing yet (wife's orders—NOT doctors) :abd:
I am planning a 1-1/2 week solo cruise to Catalina in mid-September (that's my orders!) 8)
Standard Rig