My alternator puked...

Previous topic - Next topic

waughoo

Patches... that might be the ticket for now.  I will send you a PM.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

waughoo

Ken,

That is the dilema I face.  I prob won't get to the new "system till a year plus from now.  Thus I need "good enough" till then.  As I have been learning, I don't believe the ample power regulator is in play as my current alternator doesn't have the ability to use it.

In a perfect world, I would get an inexpensive internal regulated alternator that could be converted to external at some point in the future.  This would allow a phased swap over to the system I have in mind.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

KWKloeber

I had a C30 brethren who teeth gnashed for weeks over his and what to replace it with.  After bout half dozen times suggesting he finally decided to have a shop look it over.   
40 bucks cash out the door.
Yah nevah know until yah know.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

waughoo

Yup!  I bought one from Patches to get me back up and running.  I might take the other one in for testing/repair to see what I can find out.  Upon throttling down to enter the marina, I noticed the engine lug down and saw the alternator started working again :-D
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Noah

Quote from: waughoo on July 07, 2022, 04:45:27 PM
Upon throttling down to enter the marina, I noticed the engine lug down and saw the alternator started working again :-D

Interesting. Perhaps you are way more attuned to performance sounds than me. I have a smaller XP engine and have not noticed any performance issues or "luging down" reduced RPM sounds with a 90 amp MR12 alternator and Balmer 614 regulator on my boat. Maybe I am just not paying attention or too deaf?!? Usually I would suspect a loose wire with tach issues. When it lugged down,  did you register charging on your volt meter/gauge or multimeter amp gauge?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

waughoo

Noah,  I bet you would notice at idle if you could turn off and back on your alternator.

The charging definitely came back online.  I confirmed the charging with the victron smart shunt.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

waughoo

Thanks to Patches, I picked up a replacement Prestolite Leece Neville 8mr2058PA 72amp internally regulated alternator.  It was a new old stock he had bought as a spare and came without a pulley.  I bought one locally at Romain Electric and swapped it out.  The boat had an old external regulator, but must have been from an old installation as it had nothing to do with the alternator installed.  I had to do a bit of adjustment to the tach to get it to read correctly, otherwise it was a very straight forward swap.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

KWKloeber

Quote from: Noah on July 07, 2022, 06:01:27 PM
Quote from: waughoo on July 07, 2022, 04:45:27 PM
Upon throttling down to enter the marina, I noticed the engine lug down and saw the alternator started working again :-D

Interesting. Perhaps you are way more attuned to performance sounds than me. I have a smaller XP engine and have not noticed any performance issues or "luging down" reduced RPM sounds with a 90 amp MR12 alternator and Balmer 614 regulator on my boat. Maybe I am just not paying attention or too deaf?!? Usually I would suspect a loose wire with tach issues. When it lugged down,  did you register charging on your volt meter/gauge or multimeter amp gauge?

Noah
Does your regulator ramp up?  Since his was internal it is just on or off and maybe more noticeable than a soft starter?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Noah

Good question. I don't know (but likely). I am a electrical/mechanical semi-idiot. That is why i keep my brother, Jeremy around.   :D My regulator is a Balmer 614.
Standard Rig

Jon W

Noah, You can specify in your regulator program settings.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Noah

Jon- Alan (Dr. Electron) set it up years ago and I haven't had to touch it so far. "Ignorance is bliss". I probably should get on my knees and check the codes showing on the regulator and run through the current settings to see what's what. So far it has worked well, charging at all RPMs, with no obvious engine lag. I do still have the Balmer magnetic screwdriver for setting the reed switches—just not the enthusiasm or good eyes. Maybe I'll sick my brother on it when he comes to town in two weeks to help me replace my 8 yr old T105s batteries and do some other electrical tune-up/refitting projects..   
Standard Rig

mjd123

I just had to replace my Alternator on my Universal M35B. Bad rotor.
If you have a hard time finding one email me @ mjd123@aol.com
I called Universal, Catalina and many others all said I was SOL.
Ended up finding a new one in my town (Buffalo, NY).