Sherwood to Oberdorfer

Previous topic - Next topic

BJeansson

I don't care what it is called?

It was referred to as a "small square gasket" with the cost of $1.50, that did not seem relevant but what do I know...

It is of course possible that I have completely misunderstood the information from Kubota. I will order the unit and report back.
Bo Jeansson
1990 MK 1.25 #1024 TR/WK M35
Rock Hall, MD

Noah

You can also find/buy the gasket from Catalina Direct for approximately $2.50.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Jon W

Maybe on the non-marine version there's an hour meter mounted there?
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

waughoo

The raw water pump was adapted to fit onto the Kabota tractor block at a power take off spot that perhaps in the Tractor world is used for an hour meter thus the reason for that being called an hour meter gasket when shopping at a Tractor supply shop.  It matters not what they call it.  As Ken says, it is the right part.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Ron Hill

Guys : I carry a roll of gasket material on my C34.  All that gasket does is to keep the engine oil that is lubing that drive in the engine. There is no pressure to speak of.

MAKE YOUROWN GASKET!!  Easily done!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

BJeansson

Reporting back from the local Tractor dealer and after purchasing the gasket.
P/n 15296-88130 - Description GASKET H-METER NA Cost $1.73

Thank you for your support and knowledge.
Bo Jeansson
1990 MK 1.25 #1024 TR/WK M35
Rock Hall, MD

Stu Jackson

Bo,

The tractor guys call it an hour meter gasket because that's what was there on tractor engines.  As Noah pointed out, tractors don't have raw water pumps.

I have an Oberdorfer pump and have purchased gaskets from my local Kubota tractor dealer.  The hour meter gasket works with the pump.

How did I know this?  I looked in the tech wiki which has a tractor manual in addition to the marine engine manual.  If you look at the similar pages and compare them between the tractor and marine engines, it is clear that where our pumps are is where the tractor hour meter was located.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KWKloeber

You can also find/buy the gasket from Catalina Direct for approximately $2.50.

I believe that the CD version is the (inferior) Westerbeke gasket.  The Kb is a better gasket.

BTW, the pump land was also used for (in addition to an hour meter) a hydraulic take-off pump.  The parts manuals depict an OEM flat cover plate (the other uses were Kubota options.)
https://c34.org/bbs/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=10242.0;attach=9845;image

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Guys : I just don't understand why people are in need of that gasket???   :shock: 

In the almost 20 years and 5.000 hrs I can't tell you how many times I replaced that Raw Water pump on my M25XP and NEVER needed a new gasket!!!!
The old gasket was intact !!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788