Sherwood to Oberdorfer

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Hansen

I noticed that that my old Sherwood pump is weeping water through the weep holes. Yea it's the old one with 6 face plate screws has seen its last days. I researched this site and decided on the Oberdorfer N202M-15 for replacement. Parts and Pumps online had it for 267.00 + 16 surcharge, for a grand total of 283.00 with free shipping. Looks like a straight swap out with hose barbs fitting and flange plate configuration matching that of the old Sherwood. It did not come with a flange to engine gasket. (It did have the upgraded neoprene impeller gasket) My question, is this gasket necessary as I don't see this as sealing in water? Curious as to the boards thoughts on this.
Steve Hansen
Georgia Peach 1987 #349
Tall Rig/ Wing Keel
Universal M25XP

KWKloeber

Steve

NO, you want the N202M-16 Oberdorfer (1/2" NPT inlet/outlet)

Which Sw pump do you have?  G903, round base mounted w/ with the two "L-clips"?
Or the Sw pump with a "square" bolt-on base?

You can reuse the SW hose elbows but I recommend to customers that, if it works for their configuration, they switch to stainless steel straight-in hose barbs, or a 90 elbow and a straight-in.  The cast brass (not bronze) hose elbows are not the best for seawater use.

With the Ob pump flange base pump you want a mounting gasket, get the Kubota gasket, p/n 15296-88130, which is better than the Westerbeke p/n 298485 gasket.

-ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

KWKloeber

Steve

mea culpa - I didn't completely read (re-read) your post!!   
You have the M-5 Sw pump (which is 3/8" NPT.)
The -15 "will work" however I "strongly suggest" that you do it right and use the N202-16 (1/2" NPT pump) which will give you less inlet/outlet head loss and replace the hose barbs per below, and use the Kubota gasket I mentioned.

Additionally when I supply or install an Ob pump I don't use the bolts (I include (4) stainless 6mm studs and stainless nylock flange nuts instead of bolts in the cast aluminum gear cover.)

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Steve Hansen

Thanks for the info, like the idea of s.s. fittings and will rearrange with new hoses to one strait fitting. Going to go with 15 version, mostly because ihave it in hand and ideally don't want to wait 2 more weeks exchanging it  to get out and sail. If it's not optimal at the end of the season I'll switch up to the 16. Just finished changing engine mounts, exhaust riser and hump hose and repair of muffler. New steering cables and a refurbished compass. Wife said its time to sail and I agree  :D
Steve Hansen
Georgia Peach 1987 #349
Tall Rig/ Wing Keel
Universal M25XP

Ron Hill

Steve : What you might want to think about is rebuilding your old Sherwood at minimal cost and carry an extra raw water pump on board!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Ron Hill

Steve : I have a hard time understanding your disappointment that your Sherwood Pump is leaking after 37 years!!  Guess they just don't make them like they used to!!!   :cry4`

But I pass on My condolences   :shock:
Ron, Apache #788

Steve Hansen

Quote from: Ron Hill on July 04, 2022, 05:15:10 PM
Steve : I have a hard time understanding you disappointment that your Sherwood Pump is leaking after 37 years!!  Guess they just don't make them like they used to!!!   :cry4`

But I pass on My condolences   :shock:

Indeed this pump owes me no apologies!
Steve Hansen
Georgia Peach 1987 #349
Tall Rig/ Wing Keel
Universal M25XP

waughoo

I want to know where to get those 90 degree stainless hose to barb fittings. Nifty!
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

KWKloeber

You cannot use two 90s (the legs are too long to pass one another.)
You can use a straight and 90 or two straights.

I buy them wholesale to supply w/ my pumps and stud kits, but I just might consider....... ;-)

Ron Hill

Alex : I sure wouldn't go out of my way to get Stainless as my brass ones are still working well after 34 years!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

BJeansson

Hello,
I'm replacing a Sherwood pump with Oberdorfer N202-16 which arrived yesterday.

I contacted the local Kubota Dealer and inquired about the gasket 15296-88130 which is listed in a prior post, the Kubota parts department confirmed the structure of the part number was correct but the gentleman also confirmed it was a gasket for an Hour Reader, a small square gasket. I'm not sure what I'm reading wrong or should inquire about?

I'm confused and need guidance as I don't know what gasket to order.
Are there any other gasket, O-rings or fittings needed for a smooth installation.
I see the 90 degree and straight connector recommendation.

Best place I found to order the pump from:

https://www.pumpsandpartsonline.com/shop/oberdorfer-pumps/rubber-impeller/rubberimpellerpumps/N202M-16

Thank you
Bo Jeansson
1990 MK 1.25 #1024 TR/WK M35
Rock Hall, MD

tvorgitch

I purchased this and it's a drop in replacement: https://www.pumpsandpartsonline.com/shop/oberdorfer-pumps/rubber-impeller/rubberimpellerpumps/N202M-908

It did leak oil right away, but I did not realize it was the pump as I had another major oil leak. I rebuild my Sherwood and replaced the Oberdorfer. When I finally got around to looking at the Oberdorfer, I discovered it was missing the oil seal. Since the Sherwood started leaking, I've gone back to the Oberdorfer after adding a seal without any issues.

I only paid $346 back in 2021
Tom Vorgitch
Goose III
1993 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1235
TR/FK
M35
Ventura, CA

KWKloeber

Quote from: BJeansson on March 29, 2023, 04:39:10 PM

gasket 15296-88130

I'm confused and need guidance as I don't know what gasket to order.

Are there any other gasket, O-rings or fittings needed for a smooth installation.
I see the 90 degree and straight connector recommendation.

@BJ

I already told you below the gasket that is the best.  15296-88130

Are you saying that a tractor dealer who has never seen our engines knows more than I do about them?  LOL

** I even posted a picture of it **

15296-88130.  Take it to the bank.

BJeansson

Please advise if I understand it correctly, should I be able to order p/n 15296-88130 as a spare part from a Kubota dealer?
I definitely want to order the Kubota part over the Westerbeke gasket per KWKloeber recommendation.

I have contacted two separate Kubota dealers in two different States trying to order p/n 15296-88130 and both dealers have referred to this part number as a "Hour Meter Gasket".
Perhaps I should not order this p/n from a Kubota dealer but some other dealer. Not saying that any of these Tractor dealer know anything about the engine (M35) in our boats as they sell Tractor parts.

If anyone know of a dealer where I can order p/n 15296-88130 since I want the best as recommended by KWKLoeber, I would be grateful.

I'm not trying to challenge the knowledge of long experience - only simply trying to find a location where I can buy the gasket...

Thank you for the support
Bo Jeansson
1990 MK 1.25 #1024 TR/WK M35
Rock Hall, MD

Noah

Why do you care what the gasket is called as long as it fits/works? Kobuta tractors don't use seawater pumps.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig