Wires on back of cockpit instrument panel

Previous topic - Next topic

SailingJerry

On my 1990 Mk 1.5 I replaced the tachometer. All good until I knocked a thin blue wire off. I believe it was on the back of the water temperature gauge and was for the overheat/oil pressure audio alarm. I've looked through a bunch of wiring diagrams but can't see where to connect it. Suggestions???
There is NOTHING--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.    Kenneth Grahame

Noah

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

SailingJerry

That looks great. Can't wait to get back to the boat to check it out. Thanks so much.
There is NOTHING--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.    Kenneth Grahame

waughoo

Take a look for a small circuit board mounted to the back of the water temp gauge.  That blue wire sounds like the one I knocked off and had to solder back to the board.  The memory is a bit foggy now, but it gets fatigued and then snaps right at the board.  You have to look for the solder spot that has the wire sticking out, float the solder to clear the hole and re insert/solder the wire back to the same place.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Ron Hill

Jerry : Look at the back of the temp gage and see if there is a circuit board on the back of the temp gage that shaped like a "doghouse".  If so that is for (only) the temp alarm. That CB changes the analog signal to digital and sounds the alarm when the temp reaches 200? degrees. Do as Waughoo suggests

A few thoughts

Ron, Apache #788

High Current

Mine is also a 1990 Mk 1.5 and I took pictures when I had it apart a couple of weeks ago (my strategy before I take anything apart) - maybe these will help.

When working on my instrument panel a couple of weeks ago (replacing ignition switch), a red wire fell out of a crimp terminal.  I wouldn't have even noticed except the engine alarm had gone silent when I put everything back together.  As an electrical engineer, I wish I could say I am surprised, but I see bad crimps all too often.  Then last week both the positive and negative wires fell out of my refrigeration unit while I was trying to figure out why it wasn't turning on.  I found an old post where Stu Jackson had the same thing happen to him.  Now I'm fearful of every electrical connection on my (new to me) boat.  Did nobody at the factory pull-test these things!?
Ben, #1050, 1990 Mk 1.5 std rig / keel

Noah

I would do this modification (I did). Then you can remove "Ron's" old circuitboard alarm board that is on the back of your instrument panel.
https://www.catalinadirect.com/shop-by-boat/catalina-38/electrical/high-temp-alarm-retrofit-m-18-m-25-m-25xp-m-35/?SearchResults=1
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Guys : The Circuit Board (doghouse in shape) has its own alarm.  If you take a wire and go from ground to sender the alarm will sound. 

In fact, I have mine wired (ground to sender) to a momentary switch so I have a "press to test" hi temp check.  I check it when I start the engine ( when pressed you'll see the temp needle go all the way to the right) and the alarm will sound!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

SailingJerry

Horrible weather in the Bronx for the past 7 days. Finally got out there. Thank you so much! The dog house worked

KWKloeber

Did nobody at the factory pull-test these things!?

It was a couple of weeks late but yes, that was a good April Fools'

The panels were purchased from Seaward/Bristol not built at CTY.
Dennis, who built the panels at Seaward, STILL USES non-heat-shrink terminals.  C'mon really?
And the last one that I had in my hands, one of the crimped terminals was loose.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Guys : I've mentioned it before, but one day (in the early 1990s) I soldered each and every wire connector on that engine instrument panel.

Took awhile, but I've NEVER had a problem since!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788