rigging of the boom lift

Previous topic - Next topic

anaisdog

i have hull 99, 1986 and it should be the original rigging set up but something went wrong, in the past year, and i don't know what.  My boom lift is in the way of the main, when it's up.  I don't take the boom off, for winter but somewhere, the rigging is wrong.  it's the same main, and same rigging, for the past 5 years.  The wire of the boom lift is completely in the way of the main, even when fully loosened but on and i don't want it shredded my main sail.  I have pictures and I'm really really frustrated.  I looked in the manual but it's unclear what is wrong.  does anyone else have a 1986 who can help me with what happened to my rigging?

thanks

becki in detroit
Hull #99, c34, 1986, Detroit Yacht Club

Jon W

Hi Becky, 1st thought is to check your main sail battens. Make sure they are all the way in the batten pocket and secured there.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

anaisdog

yeah, that was the first thing and they were all sticking out so we got "the pokey stick", dropped the main, and made them all flush.  not to sound stupid but should the boom lift, at the back of the boom, be on, when the main is up?  i can't remember, and i get my boat out like once or twice a year, the past few years.  if i could drop it, that would solve the issue but i don't know where it would go, if i did drop it.  the outhaul is, for me, this old grey line, coming out of the top of the boom and then running through the boom, to the front.  the boom lift is a different line.  I think having a boat and rarely getting it out is bad idea.

thanks

KWKloeber

Becki

Post or email the pix you have?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

anaisdog

i'll try.  i wasn't taking them, i was helming

Jon W

Generally speaking the boom topping lift is used to support the boom when the main sail is down or you are reefing the main. When sailing the boom topping lift should be off so the main can be properly trimmed.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

Nicholia

I don't have a topping lift on my C34 - which confused me bc the last boat I had was a 1974 San Juan 24 and it did have a topping lift.  When we raised the main, we always disconnected the topping lift from the end of the boom and stored it shackled to the backstay until we needed it for either reefing or before lowering the main.  Unfortunately I don't remember exactly how it was stored, but obviously you don't want to lose it up the backstay by pulling the topping lift if it is not secured down.
Brenda
Ziva, 1986 C34 (87 Model yr), Hull #304, M25
Seattle, WA

anaisdog

Jon, where would the boom lift go, if it wasn't on, when the main was up? that makes sense,i just don't remember where it goes

anaisdog

Nicholla, thanks but it wouldn't reach the backstay but i should be able to let it go and just pull it tight to the front of the boom, i think

Ken, here's a picture

Jon W

I have a boom kicker so mine is only a backup in case the boom kicker fails. To store it I've been putting a couple wraps around the backstay, under the triangle tang, then tie it to the port side of the split backstay where I can reach it if needed.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

KWKloeber

Thx becki

I have a North main on my 30 with a pretty large roach and solved the topping-lift interference issue by inventing what I call my "topping lift keep away."  You could get someone to make one from the parts below.  My backstay split is much lower than I believe is the C34 so that makes mine easy to get to and install.

As you fall off, the blocks roll up the backstay -- and as you go to weather, they run down and the tension keeps the topping lift pulled  toward the backstay to avoid the roach.  You set the tension (amount of keep-away) with the boom neutral.  You just need to tweak the length of the shock cord (trial and success) vs what tension you need in your situation to hold the lift close enough to the backstay to avoid the roach.  It works much better than I thought it would (design stage.)  Go figger.

I just slack the topping lift enough so my keep-away pulls it as far aft, away from the main,  as I need and cleat it off.  When the topping lift is taught the keep-away just runs up the back seat, and drops lower when I release the topping lift.

Expect to replace the shock cord and/or Bainbridge ends every couple of seasons due to weather/UV.

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

anaisdog

what i don't get is none of the hardware has changed.  i must have messed up the rigging since i only get my boat out a few times a year and guess i forgot something.  thanks

Stu Jackson

Quote from: anaisdog on July 04, 2022, 11:13:03 AM
what i don't get is none of the hardware has changed.  i must have messed up the rigging since i only get my boat out a few times a year and guess i forgot something.  thanks

Becki,

Have you looked at your owners manual?  The sections on rigging, reefing and on page 25, diagram 4.1.7 - Topping Lift Assembly are quite thorough and detailed.  It even shows how the topping lift tail is run.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

anaisdog

thanks Stu, i will have to when i'm back.  i had a bunch of people with me, all trying to solve the issue and talking over each other. i was just trying to quietly get clarity. i will be back wednesday.  thanks

Ron Hill

Becki : I removed my topping lift right after I installed my Gaurhauer boom vang!!  Got tied of it slapping against the leach of the mainsail!!  I have never regretted it!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788