Windlass in the double door anchor locker

Previous topic - Next topic

kss1220

Anyone ever added a windlass in the anchor locker with double doors?  I am seriously considering adding this as a winter project and I am looking for some creative ideas....

patrick

I added the low profile Maxwell windlass 2 years ago,the installation and the windlass are great.  
I back plated the starboard door with stainless and sealed it closed.  I still have access through the port locker door into the anchor well.

kss1220

Patrick:

Do you have any photos that detail the completed project?  Care to share them? Thanks in advance.

Mark Elkin

Patrick,
I'd be happy to create a project page and post it so everyone can see your handiwork (and you won't be deluged with "me too" requests.)

Send pictures, drawing, text explanations, etc. to melkin@san.rr.com.

Mark Elkin
Yorkshire Rose, #133
Mark S Elkin

cholder

I'd avoid putting the windlass in the locker for two reasons:  

1. The very expensive motor will be in a corrosive atmosphere - I've seen many ruined by corrosion
2. You lose too much space in the locker.

I chose to put a vertical round base windlass in the deck just aft of the locker where the motor is in the fore cabin above the shelf.  The chain passes over the starboard locker lid.  I haven't yet added protection on the lid but could do so easily.  I did fabricate a guide from 3/16" stainless steel to protect the deck.  It has a hoop inside the locker to keep the chain on the guide.  The port hatch was notched to allow it to close with the chain on the windlass.

At the same time I cutoff the starboard bow roller and added a new garhauer anchor roller that projects a few inches forward so the anchor fluke is clear of the bow.  The aft end of the roller assembly is at the forward edge of the locker lid.  I had to move the single forward cleat replacing it with two modern cleats, one on each side.

I understand that Gerry Douglas put the windlass aft of the locker on a 34 or 26 that he owned before becoming one of the top people at Catalina.

Mike Smith

I installed a Simpson-Lawrence low profile windlass as Charles Holder did aft of the forepeak bulkhead.  Neat installation, and I have photos if you'd like.  Best money I ever spent.

Mike Smith
S/V Breezer
www.mikejansmith.com

ChriSea

I would be interested in seeing Mike's photos too.

Mark Elkin

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike Smith "Breezer" C34 '88 #688:
I installed a Simpson-Lawrence low profile windlass as Charles Holder did aft of the forepeak bulkhead.  Neat installation, and I have photos if you'd like.  Best money I ever spent.

Mike Smith
S/V Breezer
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mike,
If you'll send me the pictures and any written description of your installation experience, I'll create a C34 Project page so we all can see your handiwork.  Plus, you won't have to send the pictures individually to hundreds of admiring fans! ;)

Charles,
If you have any information to add, I'll combine it with Mike's on a single web page and credit you both!  Just think, your name up in the big lights of the Projects web pages!

My email address is melkin@san.rr.com

Mark Elkin
Yorkshire Rose, #133
C34 Projects Associate Webmaster
Mark S Elkin

Mark Elkin

See the latest addition on the C34 Projects page.

Mark Elkin
Yorkshire Rose, #133
Mark S Elkin

rwilkinsii

the info for the windlass is wrong.. It talks about a dingy-tow.I am interested in putting a windlass on my c34.

Rich Wilkins
Houston Tx
86 c34
S/V Lil Tiger
Geaux Tigers!!

Mike Smith

Rich -

Here is the link:

http://www.c34.org/projects/projects-anchor-windlass.html

(I still owe the Board some pictures!)

Mike and Jan Smith
S/V Breezer
www.mikejansmith.com

rwilkinsii

Thanks Mike

What part of Fl are you in?? We are tryiung to relocate to the Tampa area this winter after we sell our house.

Rich Wilkins
Houston Tx
86 c34
S/V Lil Tiger
Geaux Tigers!!

Mike Smith

Hi Rich -

We are in northwest Florida in Gulf Breeze, some ways across the Big Bend from Tampa.  If you come this way from Houston, be sure to give us a call.  Here is our Database Entry under 1988 #688.

Mike and Jan Smith
S/V Breezer
www.mikejansmith.com

blondie

The maxwell windlass fits just fine in the double door anchor locker of our 1988.We laminated a piece of one inch marine ply in with some fiberglass woven roving and west systems epoxy. The doors close nicely and we only had to notch a small part of the forward end of the starboard door for the chain to clear so the chain can run free with the doors closed. We installed a chain stopper forward of the locker and a sampson post in place of the deck cleat to tie off rodes.New cleats matching the stern ones were installed port and starboard on the deck coaming for the mooring lines.We carry 300' rode 150' chain in the now divided locker in addition to a huge danforth anchor in the factory hanging location on the port side of the locker.The starbord side anchor stoage is unusable now. We also added delta anchor on a roller on the port side. We installed a dedicated battery for the windlass under the v-berth to keep cable runs short, and a remote switch at the helm and  handheld pulg-in remote in the anchor locker.Also we have installed a loudhailer speaker on the pushpit. This allows easy communication with the helmsman throught the listen back feature. The system has worked perfectly for 3 years now.4dbncrew@cox.net

rwilkinsii

Can you show some pictures of what you did?

Rich Wilkins
Houston Tx
86 c34
S/V Lil Tiger
Geaux Tigers!!