Zodiac question Glue/Sealer

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Hardesty

Not a Catalina question, but so many knowledge people here thought I'd ask. 
My Zodiac leaks water at the aft bottom corner patches.  Too much water but no air leak, I've reglued them a couple of times with the recommended two-part glue, was good for a couple of seasons.  I'm considering 3M 5200 or 4200 am open to any other glue/sealer.  Has anyone successfully used that or any other glue/sealer?   Any tips?
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Kyle Ewing

Last season the bottom separated on my Bombard (by Zodiac) Aero 305.  I used "RH Adhesives HH-66 Vinyl Cement" from Amazon.  It held well last season but haven't looked at it yet this season.
Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
http://www.saildonnybrook.com/

Noah

I have heard of West System G-flex working. I would say no on 5200 or 4000.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Jim : I believe that most Zodiac dinks are made of either PVC or Hypalon.  You need to determine which of those materials your dink is made of to get the correct glue/cement.  I know that most dink repairs need to be thoroughly cleaned with MEK before re cementing or patching. 

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

MarknCat

I used the poly marine based on Practical Sailors review.
https://www.polymarine.com/practical-sailor-best-choice/

I live in the Keys and don't have an air conditioned workspace, so I could not keep it from blooming before it set.

I see you are in the northern lands, you may be able to just pick a less humid day.
MarknCat
Barefoot Life
C34MKii Hull #1483

Jim Hardesty

QuoteI used the poly marine

That's what I used before.  Think my failure was due to the odd shaped factory piece, was cut to fit the transom, floor and tube.  Was stretched out some.  It did work for a couple of seasons. 
I used the 3M 5200 yesterday.  Hope it works ok.  The 5200 was very thick and difficult to squeeze out the tube.  Made the job much more difficult to get a good-looking repair.  Think it was old stock, just bought, but there's no dates on package.  The repair does look OK.  Will check it out in the water in a couple of days.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

rmjohns

My last dinghy was a Zoom by Zodiac. About 5 years in I notice some of the glued on things like rope attachments started falling off. Then the glue joint failed at the transom attachment to the tube on one side and I glued that back together.  Then the glue seam on the front tube sprung a leak and I patched that. We took it out a couple weeks ago and on putting it back on deck after the weekend the glue gave out on the port side tube big enough to put my hand into the tube so I trashed it.  I was very disappointed in Zodiac, though admittedly that was their price point dinghy.

To bring this back to the original thread, the glue I used was the Polymarine 2 part dinghy adhesive and I had no problems with any of the patches I made include reattaching the tube to the transom.

I see you've tried the 5200, hopefully that work for you.
Rob
Rob

1998 Catalina 34 Mkii 1390 - Miss Allie
New Bern, NC