Adding a Roller Reefing Cleat

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon W

FWIW - Regarding the statement "don't trust a cam cleat", my other boat is a Prindle 16 I bought new in 1983. It's mainsheet is rigged with a Harken triple with a cam cleat. The jib sheets are rigged with a Port and Stbd Harken single each with a cam cleat. I've sailed that boat off and on for 30+ years both offshore in the Pacific Ocean, and in Mission Bay. Based on the effort I've needed to adjust the sails in various wind conditions, I believe the continuous loads are higher on my Prindle 16 than adjusting the headsail roller furler of my 1987 Catalina 34. Never had a problem with a cam cleat, and never felt unsafe (at least about the cam cleat :D). YBYC
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

waughoo

I have to agree regarding the cam cleat.  Its design inherently tightens its grip with load. 
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

KeelsonGraham

To be clear, I didn't say I don't trust cam cleats. Its just that I don't trust the one on my boat.

Thank you for all the advice above. It led me to a great solution - a stanchion cleat.
2006 Catalina 34 Mk II. Hull No:1752. Engine: M35 BC.

Patches

Coincidentally, two weeks ago the Harken ratchet block with cam cleat I used for my furling line exploded spilling torlon bearings all over the deck.  After seeing Noah's set-up, I ordered his pushpit mounted block w/cam cleat from Garhauer and mounted it in the same location.  It is a much improved solution and allows for easier, more ergonomic, furling from behind the helm.

Thanks Noah!

Patches

Ted Pounds

Quote from: Jon W on June 13, 2022, 07:05:49 PM
FWIW - Regarding the statement "don't trust a cam cleat", my other boat is a Prindle 16 I bought new in 1983. It's mainsheet is rigged with a Harken triple with a cam cleat. The jib sheets are rigged with a Port and Stbd Harken single each with a cam cleat. I've sailed that boat off and on for 30+ years both offshore in the Pacific Ocean, and in Mission Bay. Based on the effort I've needed to adjust the sails in various wind conditions, I believe the continuous loads are higher on my Prindle 16 than adjusting the headsail roller furler of my 1987 Catalina 34. Never had a problem with a cam cleat, and never felt unsafe (at least about the cam cleat :D). YBYC

You're always there when using those cam cleats.  When you furl the jib and leave the boat no one is around if the cam lets loose.... 
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Matthieu G

Hi,

I'm jumping into this discussion for a question:

I got myself a pulley with a cam cleat to manage my furler.

The block is a Harken 40mm Single Swivel Block with Carbo-Cam. Specs are: Maximum working load is 150 lbs and the Breaking load (lbs) is 300 lbs.

In your opinion, are these measures too weak to absorb the load on the line? (Particularly if the jib is partially furled?)
Matthieu Girard
1990 Mk1.5  #1102
Sailing in the Chaleur Bay, Eastern Canada

Noah

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Matthieu G

Yes Noah, I saw those Gaurhauer blocks with their great specs.
Unfortunately they are hard to get here in the East coast of Canada.
I can't find any supplier.
And getting them directly from Garhauer with shipping is unreasonably costly.

I'll think I'll return the Harken and find a better option.

Thanks
Matthieu Girard
1990 Mk1.5  #1102
Sailing in the Chaleur Bay, Eastern Canada