Hatch

Previous topic - Next topic

crieders

The hatch behind the mast is leaking
Given that it's 1990, have folks replaced the hatch or bought a kit?
What is the replacement hatch?
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Jim Hardesty

Where does it leak?  Shamrock's has leaked at the hinge maybe it was the latch, just needed tightened.  Also has leaked at gasket, just cleaned up, no more leak.  Gasket can be replaced, if it leaks at the frame/glass or at the frame/deck others have done that and can answer better than I.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Cliff : Is you hatch a Lewmar or a Bomar hatch?   A Bomar hatch has a separate arm to hold the hatch open!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

AndyBC

That same hatch on my 92 leaked when I bought her a few months ago.  In my case, it leaked from the screws that secures the hatch to the frame and from worn out caulking on the frame near those 2 screws.  I re-bedded that section, tightened up the screws (they were quite loose) and also applied sealant & thread tape around the screws - no more leaks!
1998 C34 MKII #1394 - M35BC, WK

Paulus

To add to Jim's ideas, you mighty also check the two ends of the casket and see if the glue needs to be redone.  This can be re-glued.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

crieders

yes, probably a Bomar
by the way Stu, I am a member but when i put my password in absolutely nothing happens.
would love to see the link. Thanks very much
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

oldcatsailor

1990 #1064 the center hatched leaked PO tightened the latches and cracked plastic replaced still had leak ,removed hatch re-beded  with butel leaks gone, good luck.
Sail 1064 Tr wing keel 1990/

Noah

See this link
https://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,8330.msg58611.html#msg58611

Re: Cracked Bomar Hatch Lense
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2015, 06:54:43 PM »
Full disclosure: i found my invoice and actual cost was $345
Description: #61008   Low Profile Extruded Hatch, 15-7/16" Square, Silver Frame & Smoke Lens.
Still worth the money (for me anyway)'
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Guys : If you have a cracked Bomar Hatch lens and are considering changing out the entire hatch - I'd recommend that you really consider changing to a Lewmar hatch.  The reason I say that is because the Bomar hatch has a design flaw in my estimation.  To keep the hatch open the adjusting arm is anchored on one end in the weak lens.  The Lewmar does not have an adjusting arm, but uses friction in the hinges to keep the hatch open in any position, just like the Lewmar hatch over the head!!  The radiuses of the Lewmar hatch are compatible with the existing behind the mast cutout.  Think about it!! 

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788