Cockpit locker gas shock install.

Previous topic - Next topic

robbjd

The 34Mk2 has an odly shaped, and fairly heavy lid on its cockpit locker. Has anyone installed gas shocks on this lid to assist in opening it and prevent it from slaming closed?
S/V Mystic
1997, C34 MKII, STD rig, Fin keel
Universal M35-AC
Hull #1344
Sarnia, ON, Canada

Noah

No gas shock experience. However, the Mk l port cockpit seat locker cover is super heavy too. Could chop off a finger. I have a bungee strap to port lifeline. A non-corroding gas shock would be nice if one could get it and figure out the mounting.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Jim Hardesty

Shamrock has a short vinyl covered wire under the lid, clips to the pulpit, and holds the anchor locker lid up.  It's up or down no slamming.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Jim Hardesty

Was thinking about the anchor locker lid a little more, was into it yesterday.  I use a padlock hasp to open and close the lid, then use the wire/clip to hold it.  Are you missing either?
Jim
Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

Rob : I have a 1/8" short nylon line tied to the hasp hinge with a loop in the open end.  Lift up the locker lid and the loop goes around the top of the primary winch to hold the lid open.  Lid down - that nylon line just lays on the cockpit floor out of the way!!   :thumb:

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Jim Hardesty

Oh the cockpit locker lid.  Sorry everyone I had anchor locker lid on my mind.  What I've done with my "cockpit" locker lid is taken off the lock hasp and put a short webbing loop on the lid.  Really saves my shins.  The lid also has a small vinyl covered wire that clips to the life line or stern railing to hold it up.  I've never considered a gas spring, probably could get one to work, but, for me, think it would get in the way when I'm stuffing too much into the locker.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA

Stu Jackson

From the 101 Topics:

Lift Supports 101 (gas struts)  http://www.liftsupportsdepot.com/

They should be able to help you choose the right one.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Guys : Like Jim I really never considered strut/struts as I'm sure the strut/s would be in my way.  My simple loop around the primary winch has done it's job for almost 30 years!!

A thought

Ron, Apache #788