Standing Rigging Tension

Previous topic - Next topic

senorquill

All,

What is the correct standing rigging tension for the C34? I had my RE done awhile ago and they are loose. I want to dial it in for a big off shore sail I'm about to do. Also, what gauge do I need?
Based off of the rigging MM?

Thanks.

MQ
MQ

senorquill

MQ

Noah

Search "loos gauge" on this website. Lots there.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Noah

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

LogoFreak

I haven't tensioned my rig yet so can't give you my numbers, I did buy the medium and the large Loose gages for my boat. I'll be checking in on this thread if someone has actual numbers to share.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
1992 Catalina 34 Tall rig fin keel mk 1.5 "Polonaise"
Hull number 1179

Stu Jackson

You might also read your boat manual.  There is an excellent rigging guide included, all done without gauges.  I've been doing it this way for 25 years.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jim Hardesty

QuoteYou might also read your boat manual.  There is an excellent rigging guide included, all done without gauges.  I've been doing it this way for 25 years.

I do much the same as Stu.  I have a gage, but really adjust shrouds to sail in 20kn or so with little to no slack in the leeward shrouds.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

senorquill

I read the manual method, I'll go that route. Subjective, but should make everything safe and snug.
MQ

LogoFreak

Yeah so once you have your tension just right check what it is with the gauge, take note of it and next time you do any changes you can go back to the tension you noted down.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
1992 Catalina 34 Tall rig fin keel mk 1.5 "Polonaise"
Hull number 1179