Crack along polyester resin coating engine support stringer

Previous topic - Next topic

KWKloeber

What, exactly, are the surveyor's comments and "level of severity"? 

It's one thing to "note" everything that s/he "sights" on a boat and quite another to call out something as serious and structural and needing repair.  This looks cosmetic (the cracks) but a half-hour and an angle grinder will confirm that if the buyer is really concerned.  Thin gelcoat does crack at tabbing and fairing and stress points (an experienced buyer will recognize this is no big deal, and/or will try to make a big deal out of it to lower the price.)

As far as moisture there's a way to have a boat w/o ANY moisture in wood in/around the bilge or deck.  That's to buy a new boat not buy a 30-year-old one.  Most surveyors don't know how inaccurate using MMs can be anyway. 

Sure, the isolator lag bolt holes might possibly be a little rotted -- easily checked and isn't related to the gelcoat cracks.

...just this sailor's opinion
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Jon W

Hi Jack, When I have these types of technical questions I also ask Warren Pandy of Catalina Yachts for his opinion. He has been an Engineering/Technical Rep for Catalina for quite a while, and has been very helpful in the past. I haven't spoken to him in about a year, but think he is still there. It wouldn't hurt to send a few of your photos to Warren and ask him for his opinion. The e-mail I have for him is warren@catalinayachts.com. In my experience, he generally responds within 1-3 days.

Include the year, whether MK 1 or 2 if the C36 has that, and hull number in the e-mail so he knows which flavor Catalina 36 you have.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Ron Hill

Jack : The stringers that the engine mounts are screwed into are solid Oak.  The area of the "cracks" are not an area that is prone to being wet!!  I'd clean the crack area and see if a knife blade/hat pin can easily pernitrate the crack into the stringer.  If not, then run a bead of caulk along the crack!!

As far as the mounting lag screws I'd pull the "loose" lag bolts and wipe some epoxy on the hole walls (Do NOT fill the holes).  After the epoxy is set Hand tighten the mount bolts back in place.   I don't believe that you have a problem!  :D

A few thoughts 
Ron, Apache #788