Diesel Mechanic recommendation in San Diego???

Previous topic - Next topic

Noah

It is time to replace the exhaust riser/elbow on my 25XP, and I am currently not able to do the job myself. Does anyone have have a San Diego-area mechanic they would recommend?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Noah : Can't help you with a name, but have a few tips.  Buy 2 gaskets incase you screw up while mounting the first one. Secondly, quadruple check that the flange on the engine is ABSOLUTELY clean of the old gasket Especially on the bottom(that you can't see!!).  Then check that again before mounting the new gasket!!  Start right now with soaking that bottom nut with blaster/penetrating oil while you are looking for that mechanic.  Get a 6 point socket/box end wrench for those nuts!!   :thumb:

Good luck with changing the riser.  A few thoughts, Ron
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

Thx for the tips! I am recovering from a recent hip replacement operation so I "have been forbidden" from attempring this job on my own. A mixed blessing I think. :abd:
Standard Rig

waughoo

Noah... thanks for the explainer.  I was surprised to see you not doing it yourself.  Rest well.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Ron Hill

Noah : I almost forgot an important tip that I wrote about in the Mainsheet Tech notes. 
Make sure that the insolation on the new riser is not so thick that it rides on the heat exchange pushing it down.  That was the cause of the port side HX clamp continually breaking!!  I recommended that you take a dollar bill and make sure it can be pulled out between the riser (inplace) and the heat exchanger!! 

When I got my new riser from Catalina (years go) Catalina had wrapped so much insulation around the riser that I had a VERY hard time mounting it.  Infact, after I had tightened all 3 nuts tight, I filled the reservoir with new coolant and it all ran out because the bottom of the riser could not seat against the flange!!  :shock:    So it's something to check!

A few thoughts 
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

Thx Ron. Good tip however, I have relocated the HX off of my engine to the aft wall behind for easier access to tranny fill.
Standard Rig

Jon W

Hi Noah, I've used PacWest on Shelter Island a few times with good success. They did the engine survey when I was buying my boat, and they replaced the exhaust riser a few years ago.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Stu Jackson

Noah,

You've probably seen this, but I tried to get all of Ron's tech tips included along with my own hard-earned tips & tricks:
https://c34.org/muffler-exhaust-riser-replacement-2015/

I suggest giving it to whoever you choose to do the work.  The bottom nuts a bitch and I disagree with Ron on how to get it off.

Hope you're feeling better.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Noah

Standard Rig