After market fittings?

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen Sloan

Firstly, I would like to say how terrific it is to have such a great resource for troubleshooting. This association has been a wealth of information to me as I get to know my Catalina 34.
I have been tracking down a couple freshwater leaks in the boat using guidance from the tech notes and wiki as well as the discussion board. The general symptoms were water in the bilge and the freshwater pressure pump kept running. Found two so far, the 1st is a leaky inspection port on the forward freshwater tank - a huge relief it was not the tank itself!
The second was a split check valve leading to the hot water tank. The faulty valve photo is attached.
I went to my marina chandlery and the only thing they had on hand was Sea Tech.  I was a bit skeptical, but everything snapped together nicely and it's doing the job, but I wanted to know if anyone else has incorporated these fittings in their Catalina what their opinion is?
Stephen Sloan
Bay Port, Midland, Ontario
Georgian Wind
2000 C34 Mk 11
Hull #1463

KWKloeber

Stephen

That CV MUST be rated for use on a WH. I'm not familiar with what they gave you but most RV places carry them for RV water heaters.
See
https://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,8994.msg65100.html#msg65100
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Stephen : Instead of purchasing new fittings $$ ?  Why didn't you just replace that small piece of hose?? 

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

dfloeter

Piggybacking on this just a little. The original nylon? 90 degree fittings on our boat were suspect.  Most of mine were leaking just a little and had a bit of black debris at the hose ends and I suspect that debris was mold.  My pressure pump was going off regularly but once they all were changed for dark gray plastic 90s from the hardware store all is well.  The leaks were so minor only in aggregate did any symptoms appear.
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
1996 Catalina 34 TR WK #1317
Universal M35A
Rocna 20