Haulout Time

Previous topic - Next topic

scgunner

I realize you northern and east coast guys see your bottom every six months for months at a time but here in SoCal for me at least it happens only once every four years and only for a few days so it's kind of a big deal. Also this is the first time I'm having the yard do the work, with ever increasing CA regulations it's just gotten to be too much of a PITA and they are openly trying to discourage DIY.

What I found amazing is we had discussed cutlass bearing replacement since it's original and 36 years old but after inspection the mechanic said it was fine and he saw no reason to replace it. He said worst case it'll be fine at least until the next haulout. I asked how this could be and he said whoever did the original alignment did an outstanding job. Who said Catalina doesn't know how to build boats!

What impressed me was by recommending not replacing the cutlass bearing they just saved me $500!
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Noah

Four years is a good long run between haul-outs. I go MAX three years in San Diego—even with a monthly diver. The paints are getting less effective and the ocean is warming, so the timing may get even shorter in years to come. They MAY ban copper paint in my Shelter Island Yacht Basin soon. The port imposed a three-month moratorium recently on in-the-water cleaning to assess copper loading in the Bay—pending a potential ban. No published results yet.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

waughoo

Monthly cleaning?  Wow... I do 6mo up here in the PNW.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Stu Jackson

Quote from: waughoo on May 06, 2022, 01:05:51 PM
Monthly cleaning?  Wow... I do 6mo up here in the PNW.

I moved from San Francisco to British Columbia (Vancouver Island) in 2016.  I used to haulout every two or three years and had quarterly bottom scubs.  We don't have "regular" divers in our marina or neighborhood.  I last hauled in SF in 2016, 2020 here in BC.  We shall see...

Thing to remember is that the water here is significantly colder (47F vs. 57F) and it is most likely much warmer water in San Diego.

I've also found my HX zinc lasts longer here, too, 6+ months here vs. 4 months there.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Catalina007

Quote from: scgunner on May 06, 2022, 10:52:06 AM
I realize you northern and east coast guys see your bottom every six months for months at a time but here in SoCal for me at least it happens only once every four years and only for a few days so it's kind of a big deal. Also this is the first time I'm having the yard do the work, with ever increasing CA regulations it's just gotten to be too much of a PITA and they are openly trying to discourage DIY.

What I found amazing is we had discussed cutlass bearing replacement since it's original and 36 years old but after inspection the mechanic said it was fine and he saw no reason to replace it. He said worst case it'll be fine at least until the next haulout. I asked how this could be and he said whoever did the original alignment did an outstanding job. Who said Catalina doesn't know how to build boats!

What impressed me was by recommending not replacing the cutlass bearing they just saved me $500!

$500 in So Cal for a marina job bearing?  I dont  believe it.   Maybe $1500 !!

Noah

My diver charges me $50 per month for my hull cleaning and another $10 (total) to change my zincs when required. I supply the zincs; shaft, strut, and Flexofold prop. He is a good find; a skilled diver who is trustworthy—plus he owns a 25-foot sailboat, too!
Standard Rig

scgunner

Well one thing I've learned through years of boat ownership is if it sounds to good to be true it usually is. They couldn't break the prop shaft loose from the rear coupling necessitating cutting the shaft. So not only will I be getting a new prop shaft but a cutlass bearing after all. Frankly when hauling out I'd be surprised if I didn't find any surprises. Well that's boating folks!

Noah,

I was originally on a three year schedule but found I could stretch it to four without ill effects. I haven't really noticed the ocean warming at least in SoCal, some years it's warmer and some years it's cooler otherwise about the same. If they ban cooper in your Marina you'll either have to find a new Marina or double up on your diving service.

For you cold water guys in warm water monthly cleaning is just cost of doing business like you guys having to pull your boat out of the water in the winter.

Catalina007,

Whether you believe it or not that's what they're are charging me. Actually the exact number was $485, it might be that price because I'm getting bottom paint along with some other items so it might be part of a package. If I was hauling out to only replace the bearing I'm sure the price would be higher.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Ron Hill

Kevin : While you are on the hard you might want to lower that rudder and gouge out where the column enters the layup and reseal with 3M5200.  Then empty the water from inside the SS column.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

scgunner

Ron,

I can't really drop the rudder all the way since I'm sitting on concrete. I have dropped it to the ground on occasion for maintenance and I drain the column water with a drill pump and some 1/4" tubing.

KWKloeber

Quote from: scgunner on May 08, 2022, 08:06:01 AM
Ron,

I can't really drop the rudder all the way since I'm sitting on concrete. I have dropped it to the ground on occasion for maintenance and I drain the column water with a drill pump and some 1/4" tubing.

Seal it from water getting in there in the first place!
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Kevin : Put a thin block of wood under the rudder, then remove the emergency tiller cap, wiggle the wheel and the rudder will drop down 3/4inches.  Then you have access to where the column enters the layup.  That is the area that needs to be gouged out and resealed.  That will stop the water from entering the rudder lay up and then in to the column itself!!
Then remove the block of wood and pry up the rudder (while wiggling the wheel) till the rudder is back in place!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

Gunner— why did the yard feel it was necessary to disconnect the shaft from the boat in the first place?
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

>>> $500 in So Cal for a marina job bearing?  I dont  believe it.   Maybe $1500 !!<<<

Clearing about $460 for an hour's work w/ a StrutPro is a pretty good hourly rate, I'd say.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

scgunner

Ron,

That sounds like an excellent idea unfortunately I'm not allowed to touch the boat while it's out of the water. I can ask them about it but I fear the cap is frozen in place and will have to be broken off and replaced.

Noah,

I wanted to replace the rubber tube where the prop shaft enters the hull. It's 36 years old rubber, the mechanic said while it did have some cracking it's probably OK. I don't know about you but when it comes to boats "probably" doesn't work for me. So I'm basically I'm paying $1000 for peace of mind. I've found buying piece of mind is usually expensive but always worth it.

Ken,

And don't forget the prop shaft will be out too! Good work if you can get it.

Noah

Gunner—The "rubber tube", AKA  the cutlass bearing, will come out without removing the shaft orthe  rudder. Why did you have them remove the shaft?
Standard Rig