M35 Impeller Replacement - What am I missing?

Previous topic - Next topic

KeelsonGraham

Thanks Stu. It certainly looks like the one in your photos, so I guess I have an M35B!
2006 Catalina 34 Mk II. Hull No:1752. Engine: M35 BC.

KWKloeber

Quote from: KeelsonGraham on July 12, 2022, 12:45:58 PM

Is there any quick way to find out whether one has an M35 or M35B? The manufacturer's plate on mine says "Universal M35 B C"!

P.S The impeller cover came off without too much trouble and without removing the entire pump.

The mfgrs plate says it all.
M35 B (not 35 or 35A) C (which designates that she has the "Catalina wiring standard" instead of the "Westerbeke/Universal wiring."  The schematic for that is on the wiki.)

Suggest you check the Wb Service Bulletins (on the techwiki) and verify whether your engine date/serial number falls within  the range that the factory DID NOT install a reinforcing ring on the seawater pump drive.  And if she falls within that range, pull the pump and verify whether or not the ring was installed AFTER the engine left Westerbeke:

The pic of the B engine that I previously posted DID NOT have the ring installed and the owner just ignored service bulletins.  Out of sight = out of mind = bout a $2000 engine repair.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain