pressure washing the non-skid on the deck

Previous topic - Next topic

dhagen

When I took the cover off my boat, the non-skid was covered with black algae or mildew.  I tried scrubbing it with my deck brush, but there is still a lot left.  Is it safe to use an 1800 psi pressure washer to try to clean the non-skid?  Any other suggestions?
Thanks

mregan

When I do the first spring cleaning I'll spray with Ka-Boom (can get at supermarket).  Let it sit for a min or two then use a bucket of boat soap/water and a scrub brush.  Takes most if not all of it off.

dhagen

rmjohns

I can't tell you if it's safe or not, but I have an electric 1700psi power washer that I've used on this boat a couple times and my prior boat quite a bit. I've never noticed ill effect and it makes cleaning the non-skid much easier.  I always use a wide angle bit and try not to get too close.

I always assume I can do damage to the gelcoat if I get too close while spraying, so I tend to be pretty conservative.

Rob.
Rob

1998 Catalina 34 Mkii 1390 - Miss Allie
New Bern, NC

dhagen

Thanks.  That is what I was going to do.  Use a wide spray and keep it off the deck.  Glad to hear you haven't had any problems. 

Stu Jackson

WORX model 620, Hydroshot, 320 psi max w/ a garden hose attached, five different built-in spray nozzles.

Portable, battery pack powered.  While not 1700 psi, it won't burn your paint off!  :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KWKloeber

dh

IIWMNS, I would try some other kinds of cleaners (on small test areas.)  Over the years I've found that picking up a few dollar store branded cleaning mixtures is well worth it because what one might not touch (especially on the waterline) another might.  I haven't found 409 being good for much around a boat but that's just my experience.  Super RollOff is darn good, again personal experience.

For a black mildew type I lean toward a mold/mildew cleaner (typically bleach-based so be careful) or an oxygen cleaner (dollar store brand OxyClean, dissolved in hot water) sometimes I sprinkle it on a wet NS and brush it in and let er work for a while.

The PW could cause harm if the NS is not in good shape -- like the gel coat surface appearing to peel or delaminate, but not otherwise so long as you take it easy and not spray an inch from the surface at full force.  Just be reasonable with it.   
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Jim Hardesty

dh,
You didn't give any boat information, so don't know the age.  Or if it's been painted.  If painted wouldn't use pressure washer.  I've used a 1500 psi pressure washer with no ill effects.  Stayed away from hatches, windows, canvas, chainplates and anything else attached to the deck. 
I also like my Worx hydroshot, as I'm in fresh water, can just put a pickup overboard, no garden hose needed.
I just used Aurora Sure Step again on Shamrock's deck.  It's a bit of work once a season then easy cleaning the rest of the season.  And, no, it's not slippery, about like new deck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-CYvHhTFk8&t=9s
One other thought if you have already waxed your hull be careful with the cleaners on the deck, they may strip the hull wax.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

mdidomenico

one cleaner that might be worth trying is soft scrub with bleach.  being a cleaner and a very mild abrasive, it might take it off.
1989 Cat34 #856, original m-25xp

glennd3

Stay away from anything that is sealed, IE the base of lifeline stanchions. Do not get carried away with the pressure washer like I do when using around my house, it can be addictive.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

dhagen

Thanks for all the advice.  La Buena Vida is a 2001 Catalina MkII.  The non-skid is in good shape other than the blackness.  Nothing has been painted.  The hull has been waxed and the boat is in the water, so I don't want to destroy the wax job.

Ron Hill

dh : I'd stay away from a pressure washer, especially around stanchions and chain plates or you'll be fixing self imposed LEAKS!! 

I'd try some "Spray Away" or "FSR" or "Soft Scrub w/Bleach".   I believe that any of those will take off your stains.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

dhagen

I did use the pressure washer.  I kept it away from all the fittings. It worked great, and the boat never looked so clean.  I used the wider spray.

chuck53

Quote from: dhagen on May 07, 2022, 07:20:16 PM
I did use the pressure washer.  I kept it away from all the fittings. It worked great, and the boat never looked so clean.  I used the wider spray.

I've been using my PW for at least 5-6 years and during that time have loaned it to several dock mates and they like using it so much, the bought their own.
As far as the nozzle goes, a couple years ago I discovered the occilating nozzle.  It's basically a 0 degree, but spins in a very fast circle, maybe a 25 degree circle.  Even though I have one of those multi head nozzles, the occilating one is all I ever use.  Heads and shoulders above the rest.

dhagen

That is what I ended up using as well.  Worked great!