High gas prices, who cares!

Previous topic - Next topic

mregan

With gas up as much as 80% over last summer I'm glad we all have sailboats.  I figure if I use my typical 1/2-3/4 of a tank I'll only be paying an extra $22.50 for a summer of enjoyment on the water.  Will be interesting to see how many powerboats are sitting at the docks this summer.

Ron Hill

Mre : You are correct about the power boats, but what is the price of diesel going to be??? 

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Dreadpiratk

Sure glad I filled the tank last fall!  With luck we won't need to fill her up again till next fall.

ewengstrom

My wife and I helped out daughter move out to Montana a few weeks ago and I drove the diesel truck pulling a car hauler. The average price for diesel was 5.50 (+,-)...and it looks like it's only going up. That trip was about $1,600 just for fuel.  :shock:
Yesterday we took Ohana out for a "spring sail" and I honestly didn't worry about starting the engine....it sips so little I just don't worry about fuel costs on my sailboat....I did sail right up to the dock on the way back, but that was due more to a favorable wind angle and not wanting to end the day than worrying about a few drops of liquid gold (aka; Diesel).
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
1988 Catalina 34 MKI TR/WK
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

Jon W

Topped off the tank Friday. The local gas station is $6.40 per gallon of diesel #2. Thought the fuel dock near my marina would be cheaper. Nope, $7 per gallon there. Attendant told me no road tax, but the Port Authority and marina eat up the savings.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Noah

Fortunately our engines aren't very thirsty and our tanks are small. 8)
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Guys : Be VERY careful using "road diesel" in your Universal engines.  The EPA has take all? or at least most of the sulfur out of that diesel.  Sulfur is what lubricates the injectors - so you'll need an additive!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Jon W

Diesel sold in California is considered ULSD (ultra low sulfur diesel), even at the fuel dock. I use Pri-D fuel treatment to address ULSD, fuel stability, injectors, etc.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca