Companionway hatch cover (Sea hood) delaminated

Previous topic - Next topic

girmann

I was talking this off today because the caulk looked like it could be leaking and, well I guess I was right. Taking this piece off showed significant delamination on the starboard side and minor delamination on the port side. It would seem that the caulk under the screeds failed and let water past. Sounding it the best I could, it seems like on the stbd side, it goes about 2" in and on the port side, maybe 3/4".

Questions? Since this isn't structural, I think I can just fill it with penetrating epoxy, clamp it, and call it a day. Is that right? I almost feel like another layer of glass could help, but I don't know that I want to get that deep into it.

Sounding the deck under this cover didn't reveal anything interesting and sounded like pretty solid glass underneath. I may take a bent nail and fill it with epox just to make sure. Is there anything else I need to do?

The guy in the J28 next door said to dry it out, but it's been sitting all winter. I can't imagine there's any moisture left, other than what's in the air.

Mark
Proud owner of hull #1488

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."