Stubborn Waterline Stains

Previous topic - Next topic

Wurlitzer1614

Does anyone have any magic solutions for very stubborn waterline stains? I tried Starbrite's gel hull cleaner today and it worked like a charm in areas where the gelcoat was in good shape. In most places though, the surface feels like 400 grit sandpaper and the staining will not dissipate at all, even with scrubbing. My newbie opinion is that the staining is in the gelcoat rather than on the gelcoat. I had a winter cover tie-down that actually buffed the stain out as it blew in the wind over the last few months so I'm hopeful this won't be too painful. I was going to try 3M's restorer and wax next but figured I'd save some frustration by asking this great group first. Thanks!
Trevor - 1988 - #815 - WK - M25XP - West Michigan

Stu Jackson

Clean the stain out with FSR.  Mary Kate liquid is nasty stuff and dangerous to your health, but their gel may work OK.  I prefer FSR.  Then wax it.  Done.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Noah

I agree on FSR, but it looks like your boot stripe and waterline are ready for compounding/polishing THEN  waxing.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Trevor : All of us agree about FSR is the way to go to get off all of that stain on the small white stripe. 

After a few years I got tired of cleaning that white stripe so I raised the bottom paint into the wide blue stripe about half way. It was easy to do and as your 1988 the boat sets lower in the water (loaded) than Catalina planned on.  So save yourself some work each year - and believe me you won't miss that small white stripe!!  :thumb:

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Wurlitzer1614

Thank you, everyone! I'll pick up some FSR this week. Once the stains are gone, the hull will definitely be receiving a much-needed polish.

Ron, raising the bottom paint is a good idea. If I run out of patience cleaning the white stripe, I may just do that.

KWKloeber

Try Colonite fiberglass cleaner, if that doesn't remove it or remove all you might need something more aggressive like a cleaner compound followed by a polishing compound.  You might need to combine it with FSR.
Also try a few different cleaners (if it's on the surface rather than IN the gel coat) to see if it can be dissolved - like spraying with an acid like C-L-R or an alkali like oven cleaner to see if it touches it.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

captran

Quote from: Wurlitzer1614 on May 01, 2022, 03:54:55 PM
Thank you, everyone! I'll pick up some FSR this week. Once the stains are gone, the hull will definitely be receiving a much-needed polish.

Ron, raising the bottom paint is a good idea. If I run out of patience cleaning the white stripe, I may just do that.

I usually put on the FSR generously, working my way along one side of the boat.  Then I go over the same side with attention to the more stubborn stains.  FSR keeps my boot stripe and the little white line between the boot stripe and bottom paint looking sharp.   Then I wash off the FSR after that second scrub.  then just apply cleaner wax, which keeps the yellow from attaching.
Randy Thies
Voyager  1997 #1345
was Florida, now Anacortes Wa

Wurlitzer1614

Well, the FSR didn't make any noticeable difference, even with 20 minutes of soaking and hard scrubbing. With the chemical options not having any effect, I tried 3M Cleaner & Wax. With the 3M and a ton of hand polishing, I was able to remove a few inches of the staining, but it took a LOT of elbow grease.

Given this information, is my best course of action to go with a more abrasive product? If so, which one? Thanks!

KWKloeber

Did you try the colonite i suggested
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Wurlitzer1614

KWKloeber, I tried Collinite 920 tonight and it was slightly less effective than the 3M Cleaner and Wax. That surprised me because Collinite claims to be for "moderate" oxidation and the 3M for "light" oxidation. Anyway, I'm ready to try a more aggressive cleaner compound.

Sailing Amok

Just be careful with the compounding. Our first time doing it, we had some of the blue migrate into the white. It was easily resolved with additional careful compounding, but who wants extra work?
Aaron & Kristina
1998 C34 MKII "Coral Wave" M35B
Thunder Bay, ON

Ron Hill

Trevor : Believe me!!  Just move the water line up, you will NOT regret doing that!!  It will save you the frustration of cleaning that thin whit strip EVERY year!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Wurlitzer1614

It's time for an update! I ended up using 3M Rubbing Compound and a lot of elbow grease to get rid of the staining/oxidation. After that, I buffed with 3M Cleaner and Wax and then a once-over with Collinite wax.

Noah

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Purdy and shiny!!!
👏👌👍✔️