Please identify alternator

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Hardesty

A recent post got me thinking.  I don't know what alternator is on Shamrock.  It's original 2001 MKll.  Here are some pictures, the best I can do without removing the alternator.
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

KWKloeber

Jim

The B engine has a Mando (Korean) alternator but I don't know which model that Westerbeke used.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

mainesail

That is a Mando, a cheap Korean knock off of an old Motorola. Mando then got knocked off by the Chinese (even worse quality) and now Mando is no longer producing those...A genuine Leece-Neville will fit where your Mando is now...
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

Jim Hardesty

Ken and Mainsail,
Thanks for the information.  The OEM alternator has been fine except for my last cruise to the North Channel where I was at anchor for days and didn't run engine much between anchorages.  Also added an Engle fridge to the load.  I used my Honda generator more.  So, if the OEM alternator fails, I plan to upgrade to a Leece-Neville.  Or for my next extended trip to the North Channel.

QuoteA genuine Leece-Neville will fit where your Mando is now...

Please, if it's not a trouble, the part number and supplier.
Thanks,
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

jfssail

Jim, My 1993 C36, M35AC , came with a Prestolite Leece Neville 90A Model 8MR 2030 T alternator.  In August 2009 it blew 2 diodes while  motor sailing from Cleveland to Port Clinton. That fall, I replaced the Alt with a Model 8MR 2069 TA 90A Leece Neville Alt.  I also ordered a new back plate for external regulation. The unit came with a newAlt pulley, 2 inch I think. Unit worked fine, except changed it back to internal regulation after frying my Gp 24 Windlass battery while returning 5 years ago from the North Channel. Should have had a switch on that circuit to isolate the GP 24 battery from the main banks.
Go to the C36 webb site and search for" Leece Neville".  It has a lot of information. Howard Matwick, 1999 C36 with M35 BC engine installed the latter Alt. a few years back Try to look him up.

I just sold Windancer, and it now located at Erie YC
Regards, Jack Stewart
Jack F Stewart
1993 C36 #1233 "Windancer"
Port Clinton, OH