Traveler and Main Sheet Block upgrade

Previous topic - Next topic

csimmerling

I've been trying for a couple months now to get a quote for a new mainsheet block set from Garhauer. Unfortunately it seems that things are not as smooth without Guido. I'm sure they are doing their best. Recently they sent me a list of blocks, but I don't think it's right. Can you tell me the part number for the fiddle block that you received?
thanks!
"Natterling", #148 1986 mk 1 fin keel std rig, Port Jefferson, NY

waughoo

I never had a part number for my set up.  It was just a call with a quick conversation and then the items were shipped.  Someone else on this thread did a full bolck upgrade as well.  I suspect they might be a bit more helpful with part numbers.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Stu Jackson

Quote from: csimmerling on April 14, 2021, 08:46:12 AM
>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Can you tell me the part number for the fiddle block that you received?
thanks!

My inventory says Series 40 for my mainsheet block upgrade.  That was a mere 20 years ago.  Should be in their catalog, no?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

glennd3

Here is a copy of the invoice, Guido is the one that set it up for me. Hope this helps. I will take a picture of the blocks next time I am at the boat for you. Hopefully I will not forget! I may have smoked pot in the 70s :shock:
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Noah

CAUTION: If you are leading back through your dodger make sure you get the correct step-up with a fairlead/block that leads aft, not one with a cam cleat on the car/track hardware. Your have to request the "dodger modification version". Not sure that is what Glenn bought.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

glennd3

I think he wants the main sheet block #s, not the traveler.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Noah

Sorry, I was confused by his wording "upgrade. Are there "standard" and "upgraded" Garhauer mainsheet solutions? My mainsheet is Schaefer so... I am not familiar with what upgrade means with regards to mainsheet blocks. I do have the Garhauer traveller with dodger upgrade.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Noah on April 14, 2021, 08:09:35 PM
Sorry, I was confused by his wording "upgrade. Are there "standard" and "upgraded" Garhauer mainsheet solutions? My mainsheet is Schaefer so... I am not familiar with what upgrade means with regards to mainsheet blocks. I do have the Garhauer traveller with dodger upgrade.

No, Noah, there isn't a "mainsheet upgrade"because it's just a replacement endeavor.  Unless they've changed their entire sizing nomenclature, it's what I said in #47.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

csimmerling

thanks Glenn, that isn't what they suggested to me, they said to use 30-13US and 30-14US, and a triple block (?) instead of the fiddle. I asked for clarification.
"Natterling", #148 1986 mk 1 fin keel std rig, Port Jefferson, NY

glennd3

You can see the parts on the first picture I posted on this thread too.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

wingman

Quote from: waughoo on April 14, 2021, 09:25:50 AM
Someone else on this thread did a full bolck upgrade as well.  I suspect they might be a bit more helpful with part numbers.

I replaced my original mainsheet blocks with slightly larger Garhauer series 50 blocks, I think the series 40 would have been a direct replacement for mkii. I chose anodized alum over SS:

—Unibody Double Block with Shackle 50-17 UB,
—Unibody Single Block with Shackle 50-13 UB (2)
—Single Stand-Up Swivel Block 50-19 UAB (2)

Because of the slightly larger size, the install holes for the standup blocks had to be enlarged. Took me a while to find SS bolts, nuts, cap nuts, and lock washers in the right size, but between boltdepot.com and my local chandlery, got all the bits and pieces needed.

I waited for the 10% discount. Garhauer used to give the c30 members a 10% discount, not sure if they do that for the c34 group, but might be worth a try?
2000 MkII, wing keel, #1471

joe feyder

I was able to get the end stop free with a large crescent wrench to turn the screwdriver.  It is a two person job with one to keep the screwdriver in place and the second to leverage the wrench.  Worked well for me. 

Ron Hill

Guys : Like Joe , I found that a square shank #3 Phyllips screwdriver with someone pushing and a second person with a Crescent wrench turning the shank does wonders on those tough screws.  :thumb:

A thought
Ron, Apache #788