Lighting close call

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen Sloan

We have been replacing the halogen lights in our new-to-us Mark II with LED bulbs. The PO did mostly day sailing and had not bothered to update the lamps.
This is what I found in the Salon and Galley light fixtures when I removed the halogen bulbs. Clearly the fixture was not designed to withstand the heat halogen lamps produce.
This was a fire waiting to happen, and for me, an indication to review all the light fixtures and remediate damaged or weak fixtures.
Let this be a warning to those who may still be using halogen lamps on board or new owners as a must check item.
Stephen Sloan
Bay Port, Midland, Ontario
Georgian Wind
2000 C34 Mk 11
Hull #1463

Ron Hill

Steve : I agree halogen light bulbs get VERY HOT !!  So be careful is which fixtures you install them in!!!

I agree
Ron, Apache #788

Jim Hardesty

QuoteLet this be a warning to those who may still be using halogen lamps on board

I agree.  Changed Shamrocks first season I owned her.  Was reading in the v-berth after a great day, had a bit of sunburn, felt the heat on sensitive my sensitive skin.  Knew that wasn't a good thing.  Didn't have any damaged fixtures so was easy change.  Been great for 10 years now. 
LED change over has been written up here several times.  Good advice, a lot of decisions to make color, brightness and style.  I have a couple of different ones, over table is not same as vberth etc. 
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA