Bilge Hose Question

Previous topic - Next topic

abelovarac

I have a 1993 Catalina Mark 1.5 and was in the process of replacing both bilge hoses (electric and manual) and fear I pulled a major blunder.  I attached a messenger line to the old ones as I removed them, thinking all I had to do was attach the new hose to the messenger and it would easily pass under the sole. Unfortunately  I discovered there are many unseen obstructions in the way under the cabin sole that prevent me from pulling it through between the bilge and the area under the head sink. I was wondering whether anyone had ever experienced a similar problem and came up with a solution.  I was thinking of removing the floorboard and cutting an access hole but hate to do major surgery when there might be an alternative discovered by someone who has more creative problem-solving abilities than me. 

Jon W

I have a MK1, but think the area your talking about is the same. All that was there was the bilge hose you've removed, the 1/2" hot and cold water lines to the head sink, and maybe some wire are lying on the hull. I added a second electric bilge pump with a 1 1/2" hose run alongside the manual 1 1/2" hose. I used a borescope to look under the floor and clear a path, but I did not have to cut any access holes.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Stu Jackson

Same as Jon but my "add" were new wires for my new alternator a decade ago, and I also replaced the hoses to the head sink.

My "trick" is using metal coat hangers as guides and pullers.  I had no boroscope.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

waughoo

I just replaced both my bilge hoses (1.5 and a 1-1/8).  I actually just push fed them through from the head under sink cabinet until I could reach them under the floor from the aft most bilge compartment.  A few snaps from my camera to get my bearings were necessary to know where to reach for the hose and pull it through.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

rmjohns

I lifted the flooring and cut a hole in the fiberglass pan to access the shower drain hose. About half way through the cut, water started gushing up and I had that sinking feeling I was sinking. Luckily the fresh water pump turned on almost immediately and I my panicked brain was able to make the jump. Turned out I hit a fresh water hose that needed replacing anyway, so no big deal. But always a little risky when you don't know exactly what's underneath you.

Rob

1998 Catalina 34 Mkii 1390 - Miss Allie
New Bern, NC

Ron Hill

Guys : When I replace hoses or heavy wiring I don't attach a sentinel/leader.  Instead I tie/lace the new to the old so it is a pull through of the same diameter!!
Then I put tape over the joint - so there is NO bump!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788