Glow plug replacement

Previous topic - Next topic

Analgesic

I have a 1988, #584 with a Universal M 25 XP and as I posted previously, I've been experiencing slow starting for a couple of years.  I decided to replace all the glow plugs and when I tried to get started today, I could not remove the middle nut holding the wire on as it ran up against I believe the air intake manifold.  With all the discussions about glow plugs, I never saw this mentioned.  What I assumed would be a quick boat upgrade (when are the ever quick?) was aborted as I didn't want to get in over my head 2 weeks from launching.  I can't believe it's designed this way but do I seriously have to  remove the manifold to get the glow plugs out?  Anything I need to be aware of once I start this boat surgery?  Thanks in advance for any guidance.  Brian McPhillips
Brian McPhillips  1988 #584  M25XP

ewengstrom

I struggled to replace them without removing the intake manifold but in the end I pulled it and the job went off without a hitch. I wouldn't hesitate to do it that way again.
If the gasket(s) is in good shape, it's okay to reinstall them/it.
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
1988 Catalina 34 MKI TR/WK
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

KWKloeber

On my M25 im SURE i didn't pull the manifold, although it was too many years ago to say that 100%.
Maybe my plugs were shorter???

Is it a matter of trimming off the stud so that the nut can back off?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Analgesic

Trimming the stud is something that wouldn't have occurred to me. Very tight quarters so not sure if I can get my Dremel in there but maybe a file.  The new NGKs have almost a 1/2" of stud above the nut.  If the current plugs have close to that, I think it might work.  Fortunately it's only one of the three plugs

crieders

What i did was to purchase a 1/2 inch socket.
And then I ran it thru a grinder
Fit slick as you know what
I also used a small winch handle with a hinged neck that I bought at Lowes
Works great now. Even my diesel mechanic friend was impressed
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Noah

Cliff—Please post pics of your "small winch handle" from Lowes. I am a bit confused...
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Brian : Look at the condition of the two plugs that you did get out.  I'm sure that the middle one is in the same condition.  You could just replace the two that you got out and I'm sure that if the slow starting is a glow plug problem - then the new two will help. 

A thought

Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Quote from: Analgesic on April 26, 2022, 04:16:54 AM

not sure if I can get my Dremel in there but maybe a file.

I was thunking just a hacksaw blade (you don't need to buy a close-quarter hacksaw.)
One of my grandfather's go-to tools (he had an auto shop) was one of the shorter blades with a duct tape "handle" on one end.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Ron Hill

Brian : That nut is either bronze or brass.  I'd put some Blaster/Penetrating oil on it and let it set for awhile.  Then use a 6 pt box end or socket and it should come off.

A thought

Ron, Apache #788

Analgesic

Thanks to all.  Clarification to Ron and others, I can loosen the nut of the middle glow plug but in unscrews to the point that it runs into a part of the air intake manifold.  There is not enough room to turn it the final turns to remove the nut so I can't get the wire off so no point in removing the plug so far.  On the first and third plugs, the net comes off so the wire can and then the plug should be straight forward.  As Ken suggested, if I cut off some of the middle plug's nut, I might get enough clearance to remove the nut, then wire , then plug.  TBD when I visit the boat this weekend. 

KWKloeber

I had forest/trees vision. 
You wouldn't need to perform precision surgery to be able to unscrew the nut all the way.  Just unscrew it some and hack off the nut and stud.  Since it will be trashed it doesn't matter how you get it off - you could work the stud back/forth with a needle-nose locking pliers and snap off the stud.
More important is how the stud is shortened on the new plug so it can be installed.

IIRC my old plugs had a round nut with an offset slot on the face for a flat blade screwdriver to fit into and turn it.

Ron Hill

Brian : If you don't want to do as Ken suggested or remove the manifold then - then do as i said.  If the two glow plugs that you removed are NOT burned to a nub then just replace those two and worry about the other one for a later time!!  With 2 new glow plugs the engine should fire up immediately - if glow plugs were really the "slow staring problem?!?"

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Analgesic

Update: after looking closely at the middle plug, it seemed clear that trimming the stud might allow nut removal but the angle is such that I don't think the plug would fit backing it out.  Removal of the entire air manifold was too intimidating 2 weeks before launch (plus at least two of the nuts looked extremely difficult to access).  I went with Ron's suggestion replacing glow plugs 1 and 3 and the engine started up nicely.  Maybe I'll take on the manifold removal to replace #2 next Fall with the luxury of many months to recover from whatever disaster I create and the back pain from the extreme boat yoga required.  Thanks again for all the helpful advice as always! Brian

crieders

Fired her up on Monday with new glo plus and new batteries and never started so well!
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

waughoo

Fancy!!  Glow plugs are on my list.  Even with a glow relay I have one cylinder that takes a bit to come along with the other three before they all run together.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte