Alternator bracket

Previous topic - Next topic

Indian Falls

I see Universal/Westerbeke alternator brackets are on ebay again.  Heavy Duty, 1/4" thick. 
www.ebay.com/itm/154943469772?hash=item241359b8cc:g:FY4AAOSwspZiVFLj
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

KWKloeber

Hmmmm...  What's the back story on these.  Is this a recommended upgrade?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Dan : Good info - if your replacement alternator can use that standard alternator. bracket  Usually a new Hi output needs a different bracket!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Quote from: KWKloeber on April 14, 2022, 08:10:33 AM

The flat bar that came with the replacement alternator bracket kit for the M25 was rather meager, and thin.   Mine broke after a few years of use.  I had a new, thicker one made by a local machine shop.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KWKloeber

Quote from: Stu Jackson on April 17, 2022, 10:02:53 AM
Quote from: KWKloeber on April 14, 2022, 08:10:33 AM

The flat bar that came with the replacement alternator bracket kit for the M25 was rather meager, and thin.   Mine broke after a few years of use.  I had a new, thicker one made by a local machine shop.

OK thanks Stu that sounds like a worthwhile investment! 
(obviously cheapening out on the stock used wasn't a Universal/Westerbeke screwup.) LOL
I'll order one off eBay today!!
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Indian Falls

Ron Hill, could you elaborate on what differences there are between the stock bracket and what you mean about using a hi output alternator?
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

KWKloeber

Quote from: Indian Falls on April 20, 2022, 11:18:21 AM
Ron Hill, could you elaborate on what differences there are between the stock bracket and what you mean about using a hi output alternator?

Ditto. I don't understand - i'd still be a 5" frame, sane physical size mount and arm etc.

Ron Hill

Dan & Ken : When I first installed a Balmar duel output (large case) in 1990?, I had trouble aliening the pulleys.  When I moved that alternator to the new M25XPB the problem was more pronounced (especially for/aft).  So I had to go to a different bracket to make that alternator properly fit!!  The 5" frame did NOT work!!

A few thoughts

Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Ok gotcha.
Can you share what you had to/frabricatr?  Or is it the tech notes?
To be sure You're saying it wasn't a 5" frame alternator?

scgunner

Ken,

I just got one of the Ebay brackets yesterday. It's thicker and somewhat beefier than the original bracket on the upgrade kit. I thought the original was just barely adequate so I'm pleased with the new one. Installation took about 15min. With shipping total cost was about $35 so I'd recommend it.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

waughoo

Thanks for the review and followup.  Always good to ACTUALLY know from a trusted source.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Stu Jackson

Here's where mine broke in 2013.  I had a local metal shop make up a new thicker one.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KWKloeber

@Kevin

Received!
Along with the cute tag-along bottle opener.

That's some hunk of thick steel for sure.

@Indian (can we still use that word?)

THANKS for alerting us!