Portable Heaters

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank Stich

The chilly weather arrived suddenly and I know the Admiral will freeze if I don't have a portable heater when we're at the dock!  Any advice on portable heaters?  I read some scathing reviews on the Caframe Turbo Heater sold at West Marine.  More than one person said just buy a portable heater from Home Depot.

Thanks,

Frank

#927 "Prime Interest"

Ron Bukowski

Frank,
I use a portable ceramic heater that I bought at a hardware store (Ace or True Value). It is small, about the size of a large book, and has two heating levels and a safety switch that will shut off if knocked over. It's a 1500 watt unit. I think that is the maximum for a portable unit. It has kept my boat cozy to below 30 degrees.
Ron Bukowski
North*Star
#1071 (1990)

Ron Bukowski

That's 30 degrees outside temperature.
Ron Bukowski
North*Star
#1071 (1990)

Ted Pounds

I did the same as Ron, a couple of small ceramic heaters from a harware store (or maybe it was K-mart?).  Also my advice is to make sure you always unplug them when you leave the boat.

Ted
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Dave Emery

Ron,

How well does the BlackCat work for you? What's you average low tempature when you're a way from the dock?

Thanks, Dave

Alohman

We have "Mr. Heater" cost approximately $50.  This an "indoor use" approved propane heater that is designed for use in RV's. Uses the small propane cylinders.  Sold at hardware stores and on the internet.  Heats up the cabin very well and uses no amps. We turn off when sleeping as I would also with a ceramic heater as well.  The heater is very sensitive to bumping and shuts off automatically if knocked.  Wouldn't work well under sail as too sensitive to movement (safety feature).  Good luck

PLKennedy

Al and Vicky, which model of "Mr. Heater" do you have, the "Buddy".  Going out this weekend and it will be alone (no fun) unless the Secretary of the Navy is warm.

Peter

reedbr

I'll second the Mr. Heater brand Buddy model.

http://www.mrheater.com/seriesdetail.asp?id=147

The advantage is it can be used at dock and achor.  The disadvantage is you should leave the hatches cracked open even though it has an O2 depletion sesor.  No CO sensor.  It uses the same propane cylinders as my BBQ grill and lantern.  Under sail on a heel, the tipover sesor will kick it off though.  It was $100 last fall at Lowes.  

If you were closer, I'd say stop on by and borrow it for a weekend and see how it works.  I keep it at home because I sometimes use it to heat the garage when I'm working on the car, and it's also a backup room heater for a winter storm power failure.

Brian Reed
1997 C34 mkII "Ambitious"
Solomons, MD
Brian Reed
St. Mary's River, MD

Stu Jackson

BUDDY LOOKS GOOD

Have you simply tried a big down blanket and cuddling?

Stu

PS - just kidding, know you've done that!!! :)
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

PLKennedy

"If you were closer, I'd say stop on by and borrow it for a weekend and see how it works. I keep it at home because I sometimes use it to heat the garage when I'm working on the car, and it's also a backup room heater for a winter storm power failure."

Next year, Brian, when we sail to the Chesapeake.  You berthed next to a skipjack?

Thanks for the advice.

Peter

reedbr

Peter-

"Next year, Brian, when we sail to the Chesapeake. You berthed next to a skipjack?"

Our marina has one of the few railways in the area and some of the best wooden boat workers for the lower bay.  So, yes, we see quite a few skipjacks.  However, I've got one better.  My folk's friend and neighbor designed and built his own 70 foot wooden boat in Indonesia a few years ago.  It is all Teak except for the Honduras Mahogany ribs.  Then he sailed it back from Indonesia to the Chesapeake.  With the bowsprit and bumpkin is it ~90 feet long and I forget how many tons, maybe about 40.  But it gets better.  There is no engine in this boat, and there are no winches.  Everything is done the old way, with block and tackle.  Even the blocks are made from wood, Ebony I think.  It is quite a site to see.  I should get a picture of it.  Many times he sails it with crew from the Maryland Dove, a replica of the 1600's square rigger from England.  I guess technology-wise they are similar boats!

Brian Reed
Solomons, MD
Brian Reed
St. Mary's River, MD

Alohman

The Heater is the "BUDDY".  We place it in the main cabin just slightly under the dinette table and crack the overhead hatch.  We do not run it at night.  Too nervous about that.  For a variety of reasons, we have a co2 detector also.  Purchased it on Amazon.com, free shipping and it was about $80, I think!  Good luck

Phil Yates

Frank.

I installed a Force 10 heater a couple of years  ago and  really like   it.
 Phil
ECPLIPSE

Stu Jackson

We have a Force 10 heater, too.

It's portside, forward.

Tried it only a few times, and would suggest that a small fan above it would move the heat around the cabin.

Ours is kerosene, with a tank underneath the V berth, pressurized with a bicycle pump.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

PLKennedy

"I should get a picture of it. Many times he sails it with crew from the Maryland Dove, a replica of the 1600's square rigger from England. I guess technology-wise they are similar boats!"

Please attach them.

Peter