Teak trim

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulus

I am including a pic.  Took these off.  Brought them home and managed to damage one with the router.  Not sure the technical name of these pieces of trim are but the pic will show it.  If anyone knows were I can buy a replacement, would be much appreciated. I need the starboard side and maybe will have to replace both of them??
Cool Change 1989 #944

KWKloeber

Search Cesar Pacheco on here.
The history about H&L (who supplied the teak) has been told before!
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Jim Hardesty

Can't tell from your picture what the damage was. Considering matching the rest of the trim, perhaps a repair would look the best. Lots of ways to repair wood, some are very attractive in themselves.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

scgunner

Paulus,

Since you've got a router you've probably got saws too. Just make a new one or both, it's pretty easy. You can find teak in the thickness you need at any lumber yard or even West Marine. It's just a matter of matching grain and color, you should be able to get pretty close. Then it's just cutting and shaping.

I replaced all the pieces around the hatch including those with Starboard and I didn't find it that challenging so I don't see you having a problem making up a couple of new teak pieces.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Paulus

Thanks for all the advice. The one in the pic is the good one.  I am in the process of making two new ones so the color would match.  The one shown is 30yrs old. 
Thanks, Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Ron Hill

Paulus : Out of curiously what were you doing with a router on those pieces after you took them Off???

If Broken? - I've always had good luck gluing teak back together with epoxy or resorcinol.  Just take lacquer thinner and clean the break so you remove the natural oil in the wood before gluing.

A question? and a thought!
Ron, Apache #788

Paulus

Ron, 
I had taken these pieces off to sand and revarnish.  Thought that I could clean the concave edges with the router.  The first piece worked great. The second piece was half finished and had to turn it so that the edge of the piece was protruding over my work area.  Nearly finished and the router tipped slightly.  Took a significant piece off the leading edge. Not broken but disfigured. (My wife had already questioned the idea of using the router) I do have a saw but at present time is residing in Northern Ontario, at my son,s cottage.
PS:  I have the news ones finished, made by an engineering firm that does all the teak work for Tara Yachts. 
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Phil Spicer

Paul us, nice solution
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.