Properly Installing Reefing Line Blocks on the Deck

Previous topic - Next topic

Rees

I inherited the reefing block arrangement shown in the attached photo.  I have re-glued the nylon piece holding the two blocks 2x to the deck using 3M 5200 both times the unit pulled off the deck with ease while using the reefing lines. It seems pretty clear that this needs to be bolted though the deck with a backing plate.  The deck appears to be reinforced at this location (between the mast and salon hatch).  Before I drill through my deck of my '89, is there anyone who has done this who has any tips, photos or advice from a similar install?  What do I need to know about the construction of my deck in order to do this right? 

Oh, the leaky hatch also pictured; I'll save for another discussion🙁.

KWKloeber

You can't effectively "glue" nylon, unfortunately.
I cant spesk to the devk construction but before mounting the plate IIWMB I would properly epoxy pot the fastener thru holes and when mounting the plate countersink the deck and plate and use butyl to seal it.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

waughoo

Without a wider vision of where exactly this is located, I can't exactly address the solution, but garhauer makes double blocks for the mast base which you might be able to double up on the studs at the mast collar to achieve what you are looking to do without installing new thru-deck fittings.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Rees

I think I am on my way to a solution to my reefing hardware problem.  Garhauer Marine referred me to Catalina direct, who in turn referred me to Catalina direct tech support.  Their tech support was great.  I was shown the mast collar pins that should be installed on the mast collar (as well as several other things).  I found that I in fact had a free mast collar pin on my mast collar (along with one that is used by the main halyard block) on the starboard side.  I moved the 4 reefing blocks, in pairs to the 2 collar pin attachment points, one pair is now shared with the main halyard.. It is a bit messy and the blue line rubs on the halyard but I think if I can find the right hardware to extend the position of this block I can make it work!  Thanks for the ideas :clap!

Ron Hill

Rees : There is no known adhesive that will "cement" starboard to the decks' anti skid!!   :cry4`    You'll just have to thru bolt it and use a backing plat underneath !!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Phil Spicer

Rees, some thoughts,
     1-try a longer shackle to move the block or blocks out away from other blocks or lines.
     2- try a double block.
   Just my thoughts on your problem.

Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.