(Re) Securing the rear water tank?

Previous topic - Next topic

KeelsonGraham

Hi all,

I need to take out the rear water tank temporarily to do some work in that area. I see that it's currently secured using soldered metal bands - a la crate packing.

What's the best alternative to these for re-securing the tank??
2006 Catalina 34 Mk II. Hull No:1752. Engine: M35 BC.

waughoo

Mine was not secured when I got in there to do my autopilot work, however I have seen that some of them are based on others' photos on here.  I would think that webbing straps similar to that found for battery straps would be a reasonable solution, but I don't know how those would be secured to the platform (as mine was not).
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Jim Hardesty

I used lashing straps, pulled them as tight as I could, threaded where old straps were and checked for sharp edges.  Left the buckles on top and rolled up the excess webbing. That was years ago. When I've been back there checked and still tight. 
https://www.harborfreight.com/set-of-2-1-inch-x-12-ft-lashing-straps-67386.html
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

rmjohns

I got a couple of the ratchet straps from home depot that are 1" wide and ran them in the same manner the original straps ran.  There are cut outs under the tank that let you run the webbing through and under the fiberglass water tank tray. So far no issues, but those straps should hold the tank no problem.

Rob

1998 Catalina 34 Mkii 1390 - Miss Allie
New Bern, NC

ewengstrom

Our aft water tank isn't secured in any way other than the two cables coming down from the pedestal and the plywood bulkhead in front of it holding it from sliding forward into the aft cabin. It obviously came from the factory this way and has now been this way for 34+ years and running.
If I were to take the boat off shore (highly unlikely) I would definitely attend to this as well as addressing the other three tanks (fuel, black water and the second water tank under the starboard settee) as they too aren't held in place with anything secure enough to hold them if the boat were to go inverted.
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
1988 Catalina 34 MKI TR/WK
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

Jim Hardesty

QuoteI need to take out the rear water tank temporarily to do some work in that area. I see that it's currently secured using soldered metal bands - a la crate packing.

If you decide to use the lashing straps save yourself some work.  When you remove the original bands attach a tracer line when you pull the bands out.  Saves some fishing.

For those with unsecured tanks.  IMHO Strap them down.  A half tank of water sloshing around in even a moderate sea can't be a good thing.
Your boat your choice.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

ewengstrom

Curious, it seems that perhaps Catalina chose to secure the various tanks around the boat in the MK2 MUCH better than they did in the MK1 boats. If your tank is strapped down (in either model) can you tell if it was done this way from the factory????
I'm not trying to be flip or negligent with my earlier comment about it being that way for over 30 years but to be honest, how many folks here with either model say they've had a tank full of water (or worse) get loose in a C-34?
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

rmjohns

I would say the straps on the MKii were from the factory. They used those metal bands used on heavy shipping boxes that are put together with a tool and there are cutouts in the fiberglass tray specifically for the bands to route through under the tray.
Rob

1998 Catalina 34 Mkii 1390 - Miss Allie
New Bern, NC

Kyle Ewing

Perhaps the straps are something done for CE A certification?  See thread at https://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,11317.0.html.

Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
http://www.saildonnybrook.com/

KeelsonGraham

To my mind having any sort of massive thing unsecured at sea is unthinkable.

AndyBC

My aft water tank is framed on 3 sides by wooden panels.  I don't know if it came from the factory like that or if a PO did that but seems pretty solid.
1998 C34 MKII #1394 - M35BC, WK

waughoo

My 91 looks like AndyBC's photo above.  No straps just a three sided capture and then the aft cabin bulkhead for the 4th side.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

ewengstrom

Just for giggles I found these photos of the aft water tank setup on our 88 mk1. Given the sheer size of this tank it surprised me that it wasn't strapped down......but also noting how tightly it's surrounded on all sides, I realize it isn't going anywhere either.
Our older boats aren't set up anything like the MK2 I believe, but I'd be interested to see how this tank is secured in the different models anyway.
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

KeelsonGraham