Shopping for a C34

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt Gus

Hi All,

My wife insists on a bigger boat.  We have been looking around and think that the C34 has quite a bit of what we are looking for.  We've looked at a few in the '86-'89 range.

The knowledge and enthusiasm on this message board is encouraging to me.  I like the idea of having such support and camaraderie.

Would you tell me what you like about your C34?  More importantly, would you tell me what you don't like?  Is there anything in particular I should be careful about?

I have not decided between the fin keel and the wing keel, though I am drawn to the shallower draft.  

We will probably look at one or more Mk II's, though our, um, cheapness, will probably keep us from investing that much money in our next boat.  I get the impression that we can get an '80's C34 in the low 40 thousands.

Thank you,

Gus

reedbr

If you tell us what you're moving up from and where you sail, we may be able to custom tailor our answers better.

I myself moved up from an older Catalina 27 last year.  I needed more space for my three kids.  I was drawn to the C34 because it offered more space below than most boats it's size or price, without skimping on cockpit space.  I got the shoal draft because it gives me a lot more options sailing on the Chesapeake.

I would be surprised if you got one for the low 40's though.  If you did, it might be a project.  Late 80's C34's were 50-60K in my area last year.  MKII's were 80-100K+.  There are very few 90-95 C34's out there, so usually it's late 80's, or late 90's and newer.  From ~1990 on, a walkthrough transom was standard.  

If you want newer for less, consider a C320.  However, at over just over 6' tall, the V-berth was too small for me on that boat.  The C36's are also nice, but the aft cabin has less space and the galley really blocks the companionway.  I do like their fold-down tables though.

Good luck.  Ask away if you have more questions.  This forum and these folks are great.

Brian Reed
1997 C34 mkII "Ambitious"
Solomons, MD
Brian Reed
1997 C34 mkII "Ambitious"
St. Mary's River, MD

Capt Gus

We are sailing a Seafarer 30 now in Southern New England.  She sails quite nicely and is fairly roomy for a 30 footer, especially since most of my trips before this year were solo.  I am delighted that my wife seems hooked on sailing since a trip to the Vineyard this summer.  The 30 footer is half as big when we are together  :)

Low 40's might be optimistic.  The average listing price on Yachtworld is 53.1.  Based on the rule of thumb that selling price is 80-90% of listing, the average selling price will range from 42.5-47.8.  BUC says low 40's.  But we are not locked-in to a number: We want the right boat at a fair price, whatever that turns out to be.

Are you satisfied with the windward performance of your wing keel?

Roc

Capt Gus,
I have a wing keel with tall rig, 135 genoa.  I can sail 35-40 degrees to windward.  I'm very happy with the performance.

Roc-
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

rm_fleming

I purchased a "fresh water" 1989 last summer for $54 K and felt pretty good about that number after a lot of shopping.  Two things to consider:  Used "fresh water" boats are probably in far better shape than comparable salt water boats.  Also, my boat is powered by a Universal 25XP, about 23 H.P. Not bad, but at times I find it just a bit underpowered.  My boat is also a wing keel.  I don't believe I've given up anything in performance for the shallower draft.  With my 155 Genny I can pinch very close to, if not at, 30 degrees off the wind.  This is a sweet sailing boat.  You will not be disappointed with its performance and sea worthiness.

Stu Jackson

Gus

I assume you've seen this:

http://c34.org/faq-pages/faq.html

Two articles, right at the top.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Alohman

We purchased our 1986 4 years ago.  We are very happy with the boat.

1) Price - Our boat is very well equipped and well maintained.  I think low '40's is optimistic.  Boats in that price range tend to be not very well equipped.

2)  We have the 5'7 draft and sail the Chesapeake Bay. Have a 150% Genoa and standard rig.  Draft has never been an issue for us.

3) Don't like - storage is an issue for longer trips.  We have custom cabinets installed which make a big difference.  One cabinet over the galley sink and one each over the lockers in the v-birth.

4) like - reasonable sailing performance.  Spacious below decks. Huge v-birth. Large head. and great support from this board.

Don't think you can go wrong with a c34.  Good luck.

Vicky Lohman

mcmagic1

We've owned our1987 model, standard rig with wing keel for four years: and, we're very satified with all aspects of her.

The only thing I can think to add is the 1987-1990 models have a keel-stepped mast and the 1986 and 1991 models & on have a deck-stepped mast.  This would be a consideration if you'll be lowering and raising the mast for storage, etc.

Stu Jackson

Bill & Gus

The deck vs keel stepped mast issue was discussed last year and the answer can be found at:

http://c34.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=329609511&f=829605811&m=390600911

As far as storage is concerned (and many agree), check out Projects on the main website.  You'll find that a few of us have increased storage dramatically by installing shelves in the "useless" hanging lockers.

Good luck,

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Capt Gus

Thanks for your comments and info.  I hadn't noticed the two articles on the FAQ; they were especially helpful.

We haven't made an offer yet, but I think we are close.

Fair winds and smooth anchorages.

Joe Nalley

Capt. Gus,

We have a 1987 C-34, Hull #415 for sale.  Allegro has been with us since 2000, and was previously owned by our dear friends, Bill and Maria Roualet. She can be seen at Pilot's Point Marina, Slip L-16, South Yard, Westbrook, Ct.  We regret that our plans do not include sailing as much as we anticipated when we brought Allegro here from Mobile, AL.  I will furnish details if you are interested.

Joe Nalley
860-404-1756
jnalley10@comcast.com

Capt Gus

Hi Joe,

I tried sending you an email, but I'm not sure it went through.  My email address is agbenoit@cox.net.

Thanks

Gene Regan

Dear Gus,
    May be selling ours,see my profile and data base on boat recently updated.e mail is Mr6687@aol.com, we are in New Jersey

Gene Regan
713 Freedom

gene regan