transom lights elec diagram

Previous topic - Next topic

Sailing Amok

Quote from: Catalina007 on March 14, 2022, 03:54:48 PM
Anyway I have decided they are stupid and they are coming off.
A friend who does a lot of multi day offshore racing has a set of red LEDs that light up the cockpit deck. I crewed on a night race with him last season, and it was actually so nice having those just to see where you were stepping. I'm thinking your transom lights  switched to red LEDs could be really nice for preventing accidental steps into the drink while at anchor.
Aaron & Kristina
1998 C34 MKII "Coral Wave" M35B
Thunder Bay, ON

KWKloeber

#3;
     - Rule 30 requires an anchor light ("shall"; not optional) while "at anchor."
     - Rule 30 requires an anchor light in an "anchorage" (among several other locations.)
     - CFR specifically defines that, for the purpose of Rule 30, a moored vessel is "at anchor."
     - The exception re: "special anchorage designated by the Secretary" doesn't apply to typical everyday anchoring for a midnight skinny dip or anchoring overnight in a cove.
Therefore, COLREGS does specify that an anchor light must be displayed when anchoring or mooring. 
NOW don't even ask how that squares against moored boats in other than a "special anchorage" where no one is aboard and no light is displayed!

#2 - Statement #2 is incorrect.  By Rule 30 a "deck" MAY be illuminated (and is required to be lit when >100m.)  The outside face of the transom is not a "deck."  Illuminating the outside surface of a hull is neither authorized nor prohibited by Rule 30 -- HOWEVER what IS prohibited (Rule 20) is ANY other light that can be mistaken for a required light

For instance, burning a white stern light when one is not called for at anchor.  The Rule doesn't provide any qualification like "mistaken except if the person has sub-average intelligence," or "mistaken in only the worst weather/sea condition," or "mistaken by Stelios."  If it CAN be mistaken (whether or not it is actually mistaken) then Rule 20 prohibits it.  If such an extra light is actually properly shielded (no light is emitted aft or sideways and could not be seen by an overtaking operator) then no, Rule 20 wouldn't apply.  But, simply downward-shining doesn't mean that an approaching operator can't see it (mistake it.)  Perhaps they are ("were" if removed) properly shielded.  The specific circumstances would dictate. 

The CG is sensitive about extra and "decorative" (rope lights) and even underwater lights. 

Haphazard installation of additional lighting must be avoided.  A violation can occur if the installation of additional lights can be construed as a light required by the Rules for another vessel.  For instance, blue underwater LED lights can appear to be flashing if there is any wave action, giving the appearance of a flashing blue light only authorized to be used by law enforcement

I did not write the rule -- and it's not outlandish that an operator might confuse what appears to be (but isn't) a stern white nav light while at the same time seeing a (REQUIRED) anchor light.  It reminds me of race night - 20 boats heading to the harbor after dusk, half burning their running lights and anchor light and "steaming" light -- by COLREGS it is prohibited, even if operators obviously know what's going on.  One's ability to deduce is not the point.

A 2nm stern light (<12m) can actually appear pretty dim under many circumstances (weather, etc.)  [For that reason I upped my side and stern lights to the next size (>39 ft.)] 

Depending on the lumens it's not outlandish that (at some distance/position) a different white light could be seen and/or taken for a stern nav light if it can spill out to be visible from astern.  If appearance is half (1nm "bright") they might be mistaken for a vessel that is 3nm away instead of 2nm.

#7 - (see 3rd pp of #2) I doubt that the CG cares about your or my ability to discern what is or what is not confusing in any given circumstance.  I presume that the Rule is there to (in part) eliminate confusion by inexperienced operators possibly during less-than-perfect sea or other conditions.  Christmas knows I've been in situations where "average intelligence" has little to do with what could have turned out to be a bad outcome.  I suspect that even some above-average-intelligence operators have been in that "same boat."

Now, would most times it be an issue? Would a citation be issued except by some overzealous sheriff?  Nah, and I said that.  But folks don't get stopped on an interstate for 9 over  -- and neither does that mean that it's legal.

#1 - It's irrelevant because you're removing them -- otherwise how they shine is very relevant (see #3,2,7.)

#4 - I think you may be misusing the term.  The example given was hardly "trivial" or "minor details"?  Sail Buffalo Harbor on a moonless night, with a 40' SeaRay with it's spotlight on, completely obscuring sidelights so that one cannot determine its heading or speed.

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Catalina007

You appear to really like researching and going down pedantic rabbit holes Ken. NTTAWWT. And introducing blinding Sea Ray owners and  larger vessels is superfluous and a distraction.   I could add Rule 30 also says that ZERO anchor lights are required for boats under 7M.  Who cares? But more relevant and to the point: 
#3, Rule 30 Vessels <12M does not require any stern or transom lights. Just an all around white light where it can best be seen, aka the masthead. So a white light on the stern or transom could not be confused with a light that isn't required to be there anyway.   
#2 - once again introducing elements in a discussion that dont exist
Finally,  these and other 'party lights' are never meant for continuous usage.  You can invent extreme and unusual scenarios for any possibility. I note again I don't think you have shown that there is any regulation prohibiting their use  (or installation by a manufacturer).

I may install these on my H3 Hummer. Is that legal?

Jon W

Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

KWKloeber

Look folks don't buy into made-up rules.  This is "Day1" USCG or USPS boating safety course curriculum.
Of COURSE a vessel <7m needs an anchor light UNLESS it is outside an anchorage, or a narrow channel, or a fairway, or where boats "normally" navigate. 

So in plain-speak a 16' runabout needs an AL when it's on a hook or a mooring in an anchorage (doesn't need to be designated), in a narrow channel, in a fairway, or where a reasonable operator would normally expect boats could run into you.  Stop the made-up madness.

So applying this, if one throws out a hook behind French Point on Lake George, by RULE a <7m doesn't need an AL in that cove.  But if one anchors in Log Bag it does - it's regularly traversed by boats (and could be considered "an anchorage" even though it's not "designated.")  I will GUARANTEE -- do so and you'll earn a visit from the LG Park Patrol.  Then argue that you are <7m and don't need one and then you'll have a summons to laminate and earn an evening in court.

Enough fake news madness already with making up or overlooking the actual COLREGS printed words.  The facts are plain, no opinion, only printed fact.  Your Boat, Your Choice whether to believe the printed text of COLREGS and the CFR (and apply them) -- or to go the other route less traveled.  LOL.
Happy Corned Beef Day - enough of this bull$$hit - the Crock Pot beckons me.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Ken & Guys : At night when I hear the high RPMs of a power boat I do not hesitate turning on the Deck light - so that turkey knows where I am -  even if I'm underway -- rule or no rule!!!   :thumb:

My thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Admiral_Swellson

Quote from: Ron Hill on March 17, 2022, 01:17:29 PM
Ken & Guys : At night when I hear the high RPMs of a power boat I do not hesitate turning on the Deck light - so that turkey knows where I am -  even if I'm underway -- rule or no rule!!!   :thumb:

My thoughts

I find it necessary (in Biscayne Bay) to also blow an air horn 5-6 times just so they stop taking Instagram pictures of the "ladies" on board and peak up over the bow just in time to avoid collision.

Catalina007

Quote from: Jon W on March 17, 2022, 08:23:02 AM
What is NTTAWWT?
'Not That There Is Any Thing Wrong With That'. Used in a sentence; 'Ken is introducing yet another Laker George hypothetical scenario leveraging
a fringe-worthy interpretation of COLREGS.  NTTAWWT, it dosnt make him a bad person'.   
And the price of shrimp is going up because when the USCG hears trawlers light up their transom when hauling their drag nets, it will be daylight harvesting only!
Buy your shrimp today!
S.H.
USCG MMC

Catalina007

Quote from: Ron Hill on March 17, 2022, 01:17:29 PM

My thoughts
absolutely. I light up like a Christmas tree when I can hear an engine and smell diesel exhaust coming from upwind in thick fog