transom lights elec diagram

Previous topic - Next topic

Catalina007

This is a bit weird but an installation from a previous owner for some  transom lights
This board has such great expertise I wonder if you can give a view on the circuitry.

Lets not worry for now  why this is even a thing! Removing the lights will be more work than getting them operational again 

The P.O. wired direct from the battery to a fused terminal strip (he did not use the main panel for some unknown reason)   
with a toggle switch in the cockpit near the helm feeding the lights.

One issue
- If the cockpit switch was accidentally hit say while de-boarding in the daytime , the lights might not be noticed and could remain
on and drain the battery. They are not LED 

If I keep this set up I will swap out the toggle switch for an illuminated push button which would prevent accidental turning on, and the indicator light would show if it was energized by accident     

How does the diagram look?

Many thanks in advance

KWKloeber

The fuse needs to be w/ in 7" of the battery.
Assure wire gauge is adequate or change to LED bulbs.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Catalina007

thanks Ken
good point this guy put the fuse box / strip 10+ feet from the battery. it could have been mounted right in the engine box. and this was a professionally done installation.  maybe i should move it. i can't change the fixture / bulbs they are sealed. but i have an old spool of tinned 12/2 lying around which is big overkill but it's 'free'.
the guy used non marine 16/2 cable which is of course shot.  and the 12/2 will be good in case i switch some
day to a high amp cockpit daiquiri blender

KWKloeber

I remember the old old old Jeep Wagoneer had a manual switch on the dash for backup lights. Conversely You could power your backup lights from the transmission reverse position!  :rolling :rolling

[edit]
https://blendjet.com/products/blendjet-2
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Catalina007

KWKloeber

Sure.  You could also put an inline AGC fuse at the battery than moving the strip fuse holder.

There's different ways to skin a Catalina.

Ron Hill

007 : Regardless of what you do with the wiring (I'd use 16 gage tined wire) you need to go with a LED bulb.  Take the old bulb out so you can determine the base and then go to Superbright for a LED match.

Also I've noticed that the auto parts stores (Auto Zone & Advanced) are starting to stock LED bulbs!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Catalina007

Thanks Ron.  But the bulbs in the existing fixture are 'potted' (sealed)  so I am stuck with them.  They retail at about $150 each. I have 12/2 marine tinned on hand so will use that.  Yes if I had it to do over I would have LED but we wont use them often so power draw not an issue.

Ron Hill

007 : I looked at your diagram again and WOW!! that 4 amps (For only one!) rivals the fridge!!    8 amps is a BIG draw!!

If you keep those lights on any length of time, I'd cut them out of that circuit and replace them with LEDs bulbs/fixtures.  You might find another use for them in the future where they would be turned on ONLY for a short time.

A thought

Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

RON:  BACKUP LIGHTS  BACKUP LIGHTS!!!
Only burned when in reverse and backing into a dark garage!  :rolling :rolling

A question not asked, but an unsolicited answer comment anyway -- They are not legal. 
A manufacturer could not install them and an operator can't burn them between dusk to dawn.

Certainly not while motoring or sailing (3 lights do not a stern nav light make) and they are not acceptable for an all-around anchor light system.

Yah can't just start adding white and red and green outward-shining lights anywhere one wants to on a boat. 

See Rule 20 ColRegs and USCG Boating Safety Circular 75.

-Ken

Ron Hill

Guess I didn't realize that transom lights are really "backup" lights.  I thought they were to light up the boarding ladder area when you dink back at night!

Don't remember me ever worrying about backing up at night in 50 years of boating!!! 

Anyway at an 8 amp draw, I'd get rid of those lights!!!

My thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Catalina007

These are just meant use at the dock or at anchor so of course they are 'legal'.  They are not Nav lights.
Anyway I have decided they are stupid and they are coming off.
Agree should be LED anyway then I could change the throbbing colors when I play my old disco albums   

KWKloeber

@Ron - Tongue in cheek!!

@SH - Yes, of course they can be used at the dock.  So can you burn every nav light you have at the same time, and don't need to burn an anchor light.
Moot point but no, they would not be legal to burn at anchor.  Read the rules.  One can't burn a light that could confuse or could be confused with a required COLREGS light.
Ergo, burning a stern white light and anchor light at the same time would (could) confuse a mariner approaching from astern.
Read what I had cited.  Ask a coastie.
Whether someone for a practical matter would get caught, or if so some action taken, and depending how long they're on, etc., still doesn't make it ok per COLREGS. 
Could one keep a spotlight on shining from the bow while motoring simply because "it's not a nav light?  Of course not.

Catalina007

#1 - The lights point downward, but that is irrelevant
#2 - There is no ColReg restriction on lighting up a boat (especially deck lights) at anchor
#3 - There is no requirement anywhere that restricts or requires any lighting of any kind in a designated mooring field   
#4 - Your example of a fixed bow spotlight is pedantic and extreme.   
#5 - Commercial and recreational fisherman all over the country will now have to work on their aft decks in the dark now after reading your post.
        I would go out and buy some shrimp tonight, the price is going up
#6 - I am familiar with Colregs and USCG requirements and have already read them, but thanks
#7 - You are making assumptions. Nowhere did anyone say there was intention for continued use of white transom lights while navigating.
        And even so the boater of average intelligence would likely not be confused by an additional white light on a transom, with an existing white stern
        light on a transom.  If I saw that I would hardly think that boat was coming at me.   

Catalina007

This thread has suddenly gone quiet.  Maybe someone is reading the rules again?  :clap