Head Holding tank pumpout

Previous topic - Next topic

hwd

Can anyone suggest a method to pump out the holding tank on my C34 mkII at our private dock - perhaps a suitable manual suction pump and waste bucket?

Breakin Away

How do you plan to dispose of it? Note that transporting of human waste requires a special license in most jurisdictions. I realized that if your private dock is at your home, there may be legal ways to dispose of it. But carrying a drum of it in your pickup truck might not go over well.

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

scgunner

hwd,

If you're trying to come up with a convenient way for waste disposal this isn't it. Say you come up with a hose, pump, container rig that actually works, how do you clean it, where do you store it because it's going to stink and it's a stink that permeates. Also you tank holds about 20 gals, that's about 150+ lbs of some not very nice stuff. And have you got a 20 gallon bucket or do you use a number of smaller containers, or one container and make a lot of trips. This not only raises the question of where you deposit the waste but how do you transport it?

While marina pump out stations may not be an ideal solution it's about the best way we have to handle a rather stinky part of boat ownership. Motoring to your pump out station is going to be far more convenient that anything you can jury rig.

BTW, not to rub it in but my Marina was rebuilt a few years ago at which time they install dockside pump outs, so I can pump out in my slip. Even that isn't the nicest way to spend time on the boat.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Kyle Ewing

Perhaps there's a mobile pump-out service in your area, something similar to https://www.chicagoharbors.info/pump-out-service/.

Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
http://www.saildonnybrook.com/

KWKloeber

A qualified, "Yes" to your question.  There are ways to do it, but.....

There are electric and gasoline and diesel "trash" pumps (impeller) and compressed-air-driven and electric (diaphragm) pumps (the most reliable and forgiving for that use) but the pump isn't the largest hill to climb.  And whether any are cost-effective for you is a different subject -- it could be an expensive project (depending of course on your budget.)

Complete info?!?! (whether or not it's practical?)
Is the slip "near" a location (your house?) such that a pump discharge hose could be run to pump it into the house sanitary sewer?  That would seem to be the cleanest way because the suction hose/pump/discharge hose could be easily flushed with fresh water to avoid the after-stink.

An impeller pump would need to be used near the boat in order to develop suction.  A diaphragm pump could be located away from the slip because it does not need to be primed in order to develop suction.

For that matter, you could use a large shop vac (twice, or pump out when half-full) and wheel it away for disposal (presuming you have a spot near the slip) BUT it wouldn't be a pretty job or as easy to freshen it up afterward as it would be with another pump.

Or, a "drum pump" (and the drum could potentially be moved around using a 30-gal drum dolly or a drum hand truck.

A macerator pump could be used in conjunction with whatever system so that you'd be handling slush instead of solids.  Or it could be used to pump up to the drum.

It's possible but whether it's practical depends on what are "your" particulars.  More info?!?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Jim Hardesty

QuoteCan anyone suggest a method to pump out the holding tank on my C34 mkII at our private dock - perhaps a suitable manual suction pump and waste bucket?

Consider if a Port-a-potty will meet your needs.  That's what they are made for and do work ok.  If it were me I'd look for a pump-out station near by.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

mark_53

I know my previous marina had a portable pump out unit.  They are available from someplace like amazon or ebay. or google.

Noah

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Patches

I just put a Dometic 975 MSD Porta-potti in my boat this winter. It is what I use for my charter guests, while I have a Airhead composting head for extended cruising.  Guests seem to understand the simple operation better than the old Jabsco (which worked great).

It requires building a platform for the larger footprint of the porta-potti, and so you can secure the base with a hold down kit.  I made mine out of 3/4" plywood, epoxied--then painted to match the color of the fiberglass pan in the head.

After considerable research, I determined that the Dometic was the only one to "comfortably" fit the space available.  It can be used as a porta-potti, or can be plumbed as an MSD with a vent line and pump out from the deck.  All parts for both options come as part of the package. It also has the preferred "piston-type" water flush instead of the bellows (which will eventually crack and fail).

I don't miss the old marine head at all, and am glad to have the holding tank off the boat. After reading articles by Peggie Hall and others, the 5+ gallon capacity of the Dometic isn't a lot worse than the old holding tank once you factor in the 0.6 - 1.0 gallons of seawater you put into your holding tank with every flush of the marine head.

Although not for everyone, I'm quite pleased with this option. When I want to take off for weeks or months, I'll just take out the Dometic, and put in the Airhead.

Patches

Noah

Patches—can you post some pics?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig