Scupper Hoses

Previous topic - Next topic

Patches

I was running wire to a new accessory plug I mounted just forward of the instrument panel.  With the Aft berth panels off, I noticed that my port scupper hose was cracked and leaking.

I removed the aft water tank (lots of fun) to access the scupper hoses.  Intermediate/advanced boat Yoga.  Tried using some quality 1 1/2" bait well hose to replace the old wet exhaust hose, approximately 3 feet.  Nope.  Would not go on the hull exit fitting, even after heat gun and liberal use of dish soap.

Cockpit drain size:  1 1/2"

Hull exit (mine is a 90 degree) fitting:  1 5/8"

So either:

(1) buy more pliable 1 1/2" hose--more pliable than what I had.  I think there was a failed "Shields Premium Water Hose" that I took off, but it did not want to come off the hull fitting easy, especially with the engine shut off cable digging into my rib cage.

(2) Buy the 1 5/8' hose which will fit the hull fitting but be too big for the cockpit scupper.

This stuff is expensive by the foot, and I only want to do this once. 

What have others done?

Thanks,

Patches

Jon W

I used Trident #147 Marine Bilge and Baitwell hose, 1 1/2" ID (147-1126). I needed a heat gun to attach it to the 90 deg elbow hose barbs on the thru hull. Make sure your hose clamps are on the hose before you attach to the hose barb.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Patches

Thanks Jon.  But that looks like the stuff I could not get to go on.  Might have been 144. So I'm thinking of Trident 200 series (no wire) instead if I stay with 1 1/2".

I forgot to mention that I am going to replace my exhaust hose at the same time.  From prior posts, it looks like I'll need 17' of 1 5/8" wet exhaust.  Thinking of going with Trident 250 (wired). 

Is this what others have done?  Judging by the look of what's on my boat now, it is wired.

Or other recommendations?

Thanks.

KWKloeber

I have NO idea what the access is like and these may not help you at all, but simply passing this also.

My barbs were previously ground down (dremel maybe?) so the fitting was smooth to accept the hose.

In other non-pressure/non-critical) applications I have wrapped self-fusing silicone tape around hose barbs so that a loose hose tightens down better.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Jon W

There's no wire in the 147. Warmed all around the end of the hose with a heat gun and it slid on easily.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

Albreen

I had luck with these hoses and others when I borrowed my buddies 'hose expander' to slightly increase the size of the hose opening. If you can locate one it works very well. Good luck.
Paul Leible
1987 C34 "ALBREEN", SR/FK, M25XP
Sailing Lake Champlain

Jim Hardesty

QuoteI had luck with these hoses and others when I borrowed my buddies 'hose expander' to slightly increase the size of the hose opening. If you can locate one it works very well. Good luck.

I've not used one for hose, but maybe an auto exhaust pipe expander.  Might be able to rent one from an auto parts store.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

Guys : On the MK I standard transom C34s -  Even if the top hose slides on the "floor" scupper drain it will be inside the hose so it won't leak and the clamp should hold it on to the drain fitting.  The water tight connection needs to be on the lower hull fitting!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Patches

Thanks to all for your input.  I ended up buying 1 5/8" Trident 200 series for the scupper hoses.  I took Ken's advice and used some silicone tape to build up the diameter on the 1 1/2" scupper drain.  Much easier than when I tried to run the 1 1//2" Trident 147.  Honestly, I gave it several tries with the heat gun and could not get it to slide onto the thru hulls.

Next project:  Exhaust hose.  I bought the Shield 250 series for that.

Pretty sure I'm going to leave the aft water tank out for a while/forever.  I sure like the access to things belowdeck back there.  I actually removed my marine head and holding tank this winter (I have an Airhead composting toilet for cruising, and a Dometic portapotti/MSD for charter season).  I will probably replace the removed holding tank with a water tank that is an exact drop in replacement from Ronco.  I'll replace the hold deck pump out with a new deck fill for the water tank.  It's 30 gallons vs. 55 in the aft tank, but still over 50 gallons total with the starboard tank.

Love the ability to customize our boats!

Patches

Ron Hill

Patches : You haven't mentioned or posted you production year/hull number!!  I'm assuming that you have a early MKI with a standard transom??

If that's so, your aft water tank is 43 gal. NOT 55 gal.!!  With out an aft tank (full) you are a bit "nose" heavy, especially if you have a second anchor and some length of chain.  You'll find that your cockpit will tend to hold water pooled by the companion way because the water can't get back to the scuppers (without an aft tank filled with water)!!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Patches

Ron:

Right you are! My bad. Actually makes me feel better about adding a port side water tank--not losing as much tankage as I thought.  I've got a 1990 Mark 1.25 (hull 1016).

Good observation about weight and balance effects.  I'm sure I'll find some things to place on the removed tank platform which will add more weight, and maybe even build some doors into the aft panel.

But access is really important to me. Moving the water heater to the port wet locker between the head and chart table made a huge difference in terms of accessibility/usability under the galley sink. I have access to my water filtration system, and even have storage for cleaning supplies under the sink.  Made running all the wires much easier during my electrical upgrade too. Putting in a folding table in the starboard dinette was another.

First charter of the year today, and it looks like a lovely day on Puget Sound.

Patches

waughoo

Where are you based out of Patches?  I feel like I have asked before but do not remember.  I am at Elliott bay Marina.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Jon W

Hi Patches. This doesn't necessarily apply to you, but If I were going to get rid of the aft water tank and replace the holding tank with a new water tank, I'd put a larger fuel tank where the aft water tank was and design pull out shelves and add a water maker where the fuel tank used to be.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

Ron Hill

Guys : Jon has a great idea - for long range cruisers.  Remove the aft water tank and replace it with an added fuel tank and a water maker!!  Brilliant!!   :thumb:

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

I totally agree with Jon—and would do it—if I was 10 years younger and $10k richer! 8)
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig