Engine Control Panel Tach and Gauge Lights To LED

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon W

I saw on another thread some questions about LED PN's, and thought I'd pass along what I've tried. I just changed my 1987 MK 1 cockpit engine control panel tachometer and gauge lights to LED. The tach, temp, and fuel gauges are all 1987 era Teleflex brand. The voltage gauge is also Teleflex, but was bought new to replace the ammeter in 2015.

For reference the incandescent light bulbs were 1893 for the tach, and 194 for the temp and fuel gauges. The newer voltage gauge was different and had a PC 194. You can't change the bulb on this, you have to replace the whole assembly.

I purchased LED bulbs and a base socket from SuperBrightLEDs.com. The PN's I used are as follows:

The tachometer LED bulb –
BA9S-RHP5: BA9s LED Boat and RV Light bulb – 5SMD LED Tower – BA9s Retrofit – 96 Lumens – red.

The temperature, fuel, and voltage gauge LED bulbs –
194-RCOB1W:  194 LED bulb – COB LED – T3.25 Miniature Wedge Base – 135 Lumens – red.

The voltage gauge PC 194 base socket replacement –
T3.25S-TW: 168/194/921 (T3-1/4) Twist Lock Wedge Base Socket – T3.25 Socket. (I didn't check to see if this base socket would fit in the older gauges).
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Ron Hill

Jon : You are lucky that the tangs on the instrument cases were intact so the twist-in bulb holders still worked.  I had to use a special bulb for the Tach gage.  I posted a Mainsheet tech note article on changing out the incandescent Bulbs to LEDs.

Glad to hear that you did the same!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Jon W on March 01, 2022, 02:57:51 PM
The voltage gauge is also Teleflex, but was bought new to replace the ammeter in 2015.

Jon, other than the skippers who don't know they should do this, I think you've set a new record for the longest living ammeter on a C34.  At least that we know about!  :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jon W

I don't think any of the PO's of my boat had taken advantage of this forum or the Critical Upgrades list. When I bought the boat in 2015, I had a lot of catching up to do from changing the brass pulley idler pins, to gooseneck and boom cap, filter screen inside the fuel tank, to the wiring harness and the ammeter gauge. All Critical Upgrades done now.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Ron Hill

Jon : I believe that you are VERY lucky -- in that the POs hardly used the boat!! 

I say that because of all the Critical Updates that you have done.  Had the POs used the boat all or at least one those CU items would have FAILED and that would have gotten their attention!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Ron, Jon is the Vice Commodore of the C34 IA.  I can assure you he's read the Critical Upgrades.  Also because he's said he did in Reply #3.  C'mon... 8)
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."